Mr. Gengler’s 4/10 Update

Dear Wayzata High School Community,

I hope this continues to find you all safe and healthy. I’m writing to you today with a tremendous amount of pride and gratitude. By all accounts, our first week of distance learning has been nothing short of impressive. This doesn’t happen by accident.

The depth of preparation, work, and execution has truly shown itself this week. I want to personally congratulate you all for what has been a remarkably collaborative effort within our school community- a huge shout-out to our teachers, students, parents/guardians, and family pets for working in partnership to get us off to a great start! Although we still have a few hiccups to overcome, I’m optimistic that together, we will persevere. We are interested in your personal feedback. Please consider filling out the Student Distance Learning Feedback Form to help us better understand your experience.

Many of you have reached out with continued inquiries about prom, graduation, and other events scheduled in the coming weeks. My goal is simple: to ensure we find ways to honor and celebrate our students, especially our seniors.

As you know, prom is scheduled for May 16, 2020, at International Market Square. At present, we are reviewing this plan. Our focus on safety will remain the highest priority. We will rely on guidance from the Governor and our local health officials when it comes to decisions about large gatherings. If we are unable to host prom on May 16, we will most likely not reschedule this event for this year. If this is the case, we will work with our juniors on hosting their senior prom next year, and I will work with students and parents/guardians to find other ways to celebrate the senior class sometime this summer.

The most important date ahead for our seniors and families is graduation. As I’ve shared in my previous messages, we continue to plan for this event to take place on Friday, May 29, 2020, at Mariucci Arena. If graduation cannot take place on May 29, we’ve tentatively scheduled a back-up date of Thursday, July 30, 2020, at Mariucci.

I hope this provides a little reassurance as we work together in the coming weeks to ensure that these important milestones and ceremonies are as meaningful as possible for our students. The Parent Connection newsletter will continue to be our primary source of information to stay current on upcoming activities and events.

Finally, I have been asked a few times whether grading practices will remain the same or if we are moving to a pass/fail model during our time of distance learning. After careful consideration and with the amount of resources we have available for teachers and students to utilize, we have determined that our traditional A-F model of grading will remain in place. If a student feels their grade in any class is not reflective of what they know or how they are able to perform due to eLearning, the student should talk to their teacher and reach out to their counselor for other considerations.

Again, I would like to thank all of you for doing your part to get us off to a great start to distance learning this week. Thank you for your patience, understanding, and flexibility as we navigate these uncertain times. Please remember that we’re here to help you with anything you may need along the way. I am also asking that you continue to help me. Together, we will lead our school community to a positive outcome.

With gratitude,

Image

Scott Gengler