Preview of Wayzata Football 11/29 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP vs Champlin

The Trojan football team runs out of the tunnel at US Bank Stadium along with Head Coach Lambert Brown ahead of the semifinal matchup. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Katie Imdieke, Senior Writer

It’s time for your final football preview of the 2019 season, as the boys prepare for their “last ride.”

The Wayzata Trojan football team has had an undefeated season that can be contributed to the strong athletes that carry this squad, the coaches that have made a place in the heart of the players, and the bond that has been built between the teammates turned brothers. “There is a huge sense of camaraderie on this squad. We have been together for four years and we are extremely tight knit,” says offensive lineman and captain, Jonas Waskosky. Any of the boys would say the same. With similar lines coming from the other captains in running back Christian Vasser, defensive lineman Joe Demro, and linebacker Loshiaka Roques, and the way that this love is displayed on the field, any spectator could see.

The Trojans have had an outstanding season, with a 12-0 undefeated record. Beating top ten teams in the regular season in St. Michael-Albertville, Prior Lake, and Eden Prairie, fans knew that Wayzata was ready to play and ready to dominate. In Head Coach Lambert Brown’s fourth season, the Trojans are finding a groove under WCCO’s Coach of the Year. “We all trust Coach Brown with our lives, man. He knows what’s up and we know that he is doing what is best,” says senior Christian Vasser.

“You guys are making memories that will be with you for the rest of your lives,” Head Coach Lambert Brown says to the boys after a big win versus Lakeville South. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Wayzata has proven themselves on both sides of the ball. The “darkside defense” led by Defensive Coordinator Jordan Halverson has been passing along the prized “Outlaw Chain” to different players every week, which shows the depth on their side of the ball. In addition to that, four athletes made the 2019 Star Tribune All-Metro first-team Defense. Joe Demro, defensive lineman and captain for the Trojans, has had 22 tackles for loss and 11 sacks in his 75 total tackles to contribute to the defensive first-team. Loshiaka Roques, linebacker and captain has 66 tackles with 11 tackles for loss and 6 sacks also was chosen. Sam Robertson, a defensive back, has 34 tackles and has been a nightmare for receivers in the backfield this season. Anthony Ukofia, also a defensive back for the Trojans, has 66 tackles and two interceptions, and caps off the Trojans’ presence on the all-metro squad. The Trojan darkside will be tested by Champlin Park’s ever-improving offense this Friday. The key for the defense will be to have strong coverage in the backfield. The Rebels’ quarterback Jaice Miller has proven to have a good arm and to find open receivers down field, especially in the postseason.

The “darkside” defense (#99 Joe Demro and #44 Hayden Davison) of Wayzata putting pressure on the Lakeville South quarterback. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

The Trojan offense is balanced and has a lot of depth which has been shown in their season statistics. With 30 rushing touchdowns and 19 receiving touchdowns, the Trojans have shown that they can get into the end zone no matter what. Senior running back and captain Christian Vasser has 1,887 yards on the season and 21 rushing touchdowns. He played exceptionally well in the state semifinals game when the squad faced Lakeville South two weeks ago. He had 269 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns, which got a lot of heads turning. The question to be answered on Friday the 29th is: Can the Champlin Park defense stop Vasser and the Trojans’ strong offense in their best football?

Vasser crossing the line into the end zone for one of his three touchdowns in Wayzata’s previous matchup. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Champlin Park has been on the come-up, playing their best football in the state tournament this season. The Rebels went into the state tournament with a 7-1 record, and three straight wins followed a bye in the first week of the postseason brought them to play for the Prep Bowl title this week. Senior wide receiver turned quarterback, Jaice Miller, is not afraid to throw the ball. He has 1,528 passing yards and 916 rushing yards in the entirety of his senior season. The Rebels defense has also been a force to be reckoned with this season, with 229 tackles and 13 interceptions in their eleven games.

This is a 6A state championship matchup you don’t want to miss. The last game of football season is upon us. 7:00 is game time on Friday, November 29th at US Bank Stadium. The Trojans are the home team, so Wayzata fans will go to the right after entering through Legacy Gate to sit on the southside of the stadium. The theme is gold out – senior ladies break out your overalls for one more football game this season! Pack the Bank for our Trojan boys! See you there!

The Trojans celebrate a semifinal win with the student body that came out to support. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.