Preview of Wayzata Football vs Lakeville South (11/15)

Senior linebacker Loshiaka Roques and Defensive Coordinator Jordan Halverson in an embrace after Roques’ forced fumble and sack, resulting in a Trojan touchdown. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Katie Imdieke, Senior Writer

Battle of #1 seeds on Wayzata’s side of the 6A state football bracket this Friday

The final outdoor game for the Wayzata Trojan football team has been won. The students supported their undefeated team in 31 degree temperatures with 12 miles per hour winds for the final time this season. The boys battled to take the win from the Centennial Cougars 38-21 last Friday night, November 8th at Chanhassen High School in the first game of the state tournament.

The reward for winning the below-freezing Friday night games? A trip to US Bank Stadium to continue the state run for the championship title. “Being at the Bank is way better than playing in the cold. No more dressing up in 14 layers, it’s great. Also, you don’t have to worry about muscles tightening up. We have worked so hard to get here and it’s been paying off,” said sophomore kicker Peter Melquist. The Trojans are excited to hopefully keep their undefeated run going through the end of the 6A state tournament.

Two more games stand between Wayzata and the state championship title. “Being able to play another game would mean the world to me. These are my brothers since elementary school. Nothing would mean more than being able to take the field with them again,” saID senior captain Loshiaka Roques. The first game will be played this Friday at US Bank Stadium versus the powerful Lakeville South Cougars. The Cougars have come out of three postseason games unscathed, and are ready to face the undefeated Trojans after dominant wins against Roseville, Maple Grove, and Mounds View during the postseason. They won these games by a combined point total of 134-41.

The Trojans have played games in all weather conditions this season, most notable, the game at Shakopee High School on October 11th. The first snowfall of the year, and Wayzata took home with them a 14-7 win. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Lakeville South had a very successful regular season as well, finishing 7-1. Their loss comes to Rosemount in the second week of play, by a point total of 17-14. Notable wins in the regular season for the Cougars include a 61-6 pummeling of the Farmington Tigers, and a 34-19 win versus reigning state champions and rival, Lakeville North. Both of these wins come after the replacing of the Cougar’s head coach, Tyler Krebs, after his resignation due to a computer breach scandal.

The Cougar pack has not lost a game under interim head coach, Ben Burk since he stepped up on Week 4 for South’s matchup against Eastview on September 20th. At the end of the regular season, the Cougars were ranked #2 according to the Star Tribune sitting under your Wayzata Trojans, who at the end of the regular season were at the top of the leaderboard. This does not affect team mentality going into the tournament, however. The Trojans are keeping a level head during their tournament games, and their strong camaraderie has been an essential contribution to their success. They have continued their undefeated streak through the postseason with wins against Eagan, East Ridge, and Centennial.

Senior Captain Loshiaka Roques has had a remarkable season. After verbally committing to North Dakota State University, Roques has not slowed his roll. Last game, he led the Trojans with 6 solo tackles and 9 total tackles. This includes two sacks of the Centennial quarterback, one of which Roques forced a fumble and sophomore Drew Berkland ran it back for a touchdown. Roques is a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball, and a great leader on the field: “When I lead by example, other players look at me to see how I react when things go wrong. How I act and how I respond really shows my leadership,” said Roques.

Loshiaka Roques, senior captain and linebacker on the sack which forced a fumble which was ran back for a touchdown. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Melquist has also done a phenomenal job this season. Doubling as a defender on the Wayzata Boys’ Soccer Team, he has stepped up to place kick for the football team. He is 8 for 8 on extra points in the postseason. Since soccer season has ended, Melquist has spent full time with the football team during their state run, “It was a lot of work when both seasons were at the same time. I’d go to football for a little bit and then straight to soccer. Now that soccer is over, I have been able to spend all of my time at football and that has definitely helped my game a lot,” said Melquist. When asked about being a younger player on the mainly-upperclassmen team, he said: “Everyone has been super accepting. This is my first year playing football. They don’t treat me like a younger kid, everyone is just part of the team.” Melquist has had a very successful post season with 8 extra points on 8 attempts, which he hopes to continue in the Trojan’s state run.

Make or break game this week. The winner receives the opportunity to compete for the championship title at US Bank Stadium in two weeks on Friday, November 29th. The winner of this game will compete against the winner of the #1 seeded Champlin Park and #2 seeded, reigning champion Lakeville North matchup that is occurring on Thursday, November 14th at 7:00 at US Bank Stadium.

Kicker Peter Melquist, number 86, starts the game off with a boot for Centennial to start the first drive. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Come out to support your bald headed boys at the Bank this Friday the 15th. Trojans are the visiting team against the Cougars, so Trojan fans enter through the Legacy Gate on the westside of the stadium. Seating for Wayzata fans will be on the northside of the stadium. Game start is 7:00. The theme this week is split up by grade: seniors and sophomores will be wearing white, and freshman and juniors will be wearing blue. Finally an indoor game for the dedicated student section and parents who have been watching games in the snow, rain, and below-freezing temps this season. See you there! Loud and proud!

The student section during a Neon theme last week cheering on the boys to the win against Centennial. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

TROJAN NATION
XX