Preview of Wayzata Football vs Centennial (11/8)

The Trojan Football team in line for the national anthem before the matchup versus East Ridge on 11/01. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Katie Imdieke, Senior Writer

Powerhouses fall in the Round of 16 while the Wayzata Trojan Football team stays strong

The Trojans came out of the gates strong on Friday night. Three unanswered touchdowns and extra points to start the first quarter, and this game was locked up. East Ridge would not even achieve this score throughout the night, as the Trojans took the section championship win with a score of 56-20.

Wayzata football team after winning the section championship from the matchup versus East Ridge last week on November 1st. Huddled around the section championship plaque. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Wayzata is one of the three #1 seeded teams left after fellow #1 seed Totino Grace fell to #4 seeded Shakopee. District foe Eden Prairie also took a tumble on Friday night. The #2 ranked Eagles lost in overtime on a made two-point conversion to #3 ranked Rosemount. These were huge bracket busters in the sections games of the 6A tournament. “There were upsets in the bracket that were surprising to us for sure, but we don’t let that occupy our minds. We just stay focused on the game we are playing,” said senior wide receiver Jacob Wildermuth. These upsets might not be on Wayzata’s minds now, but will surely affect matchups later in the tournament.

Senior wide receiver Jacob Wildermuth gets away from East Ridge defender after a completed pass. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

The bracket has shaken out for an interesting round of quarterfinals. The Rosemount Irish will be getting another chance to face Champlin Park after a 17-14 loss during week six of the regular season. Reigning state champions Lakeville North will be facing an up-and-coming Shakopee team. Winners of these games will be determined on the night of Thursday the 7th. On the other side of the bracket, Lakeville South will be taking on an on-and-off Mounds View squad, and the Trojans will be taking on the Centennial Cougars on Friday the 8th.

The Centennial Cougars have been a strong team throughout the regular season, and into section play. The Cougars just came off of a hard-fought sections win versus the Edina Hornets. It was a back and forth game with an overtime win by the Cougars. An intercepted two point conversion sent the Hornets home upset. This was a big win for the Cougars, after losing their first game of the season to Edina, 28-20.

The Trojans are staying strong after dominating throughout the regular season. An 8-0 regular season has brought them the #1 seed in their section of the 6A tournament. Now, the team is 10-0 on the season. They proved themselves throughout the season after winning many difficult Metro West district matchups. They have not let up, and they say they do not plan to anytime soon. “This team is special, and the chemistry on our team is unbelievable. We hope to continue this awesome season as long as we can through the state tournament,” said Wildermuth. 

Come support the boys at Chanhassen High School this Friday, November 8th for a 7:00 kickoff. The theme is Neon Out. It will be different not playing at their home field anymore, but if they come away with a win this Friday, the boys are excited to be granted the opportunity to play on the biggest stage of Minnesota High School Football, “Getting the opportunity to play at US Bank Stadium would be an amazing experience. I’ve only been there once, so being able to be on the field and play would be so cool,” Wildermuth said. Brave the cold for one more outdoor game this season, Trojan Fans! See you there!

Trojan fans gather for the last home game of the season, for a costume out. Theme this week is Neon Out at Chanhassen high school. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

TROJAN NATION

XX