Preview of Wayzata Football vs East Ridge (11/1)

The Trojan football team in a huddle before the game last week on 10/25 against Eagan. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Katie Imdieke, Senior Staff Writer

Here is a look at the Wayzata Trojan Football team by the numbers as they head into a matchup versus East Ridge for the second round of sections this week.

4 – years since Wayzata has faced East Ridge High School. The last time was in the 2015 season in the third round of the sections tournament. Trojans lost 31-28.

9 – wins so far this season. The last time the Trojans had an undefeated regular season was in 2011 when they only lost the state championship game to district foe Eden Prairie. In the 2010 season, the Trojans had an undefeated season and became state champions. Coach Lambert Brown came into this season with a 9-19 record with the Trojans after starting with Wayzata in the 2016 season, and has since doubled the number in the win column.

Head Coach Lambert Brown talking to the team before a big win at Shakopee on 10/11. The Trojans escaped a good game with a 14-7 victory. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

1 – mentality. The Trojans go onto the field for every game with the 1-0 mentality. Coach Lambert Brown preaches going into every game not worrying about the past or the future, just focusing on the present and winning the moments.

233 – number of points the Trojans have scored this season so far. They have allowed their opponents only 73 points in 9 games.

3 – state championship titles for the Trojan Football team. These came in 2005, 2008, 2010. The only regular season loss in a championship seasons came in 2005, 14-0 to eventual champ Eden Prairie.

2 – games for the surviving 6A football teams in the state tournament. After 4 section champions are determined on November 7th and 8th, those teams will duke it out at US Bank Stadium on November 14th and 15th to advance to the game for the Class 6A State Champion title on

The 2010 Wayzata Squad celebrating winning the state championship. Credit to Star Tribune, a previous file photo.

November 30th.

11 – there are eleven players on the field at one time, and 91 athletes total. Another mentality that is taken into every game is every individual doing their one eleventh, doing their job, so the team is 100% and the system works. Defensive Coordinator Jordan Halverson brings this to hype up the defense.

Number 5 Malaki Jackson playing as a nose guard, lining up on the line of scrimmage. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

5 – the number of senior running back and nose guard, Malaki Jackson. Catch him on both sides of the ball this week in the section semifinals.

Defensive Coordinator Jordan Halverson on the sidelines of the Trojans’ matchup against Eagan last week. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

7 – o’clock. Also known as game time for the Wayzata Football team. Catch the boys for one last game at the Wayzata High School stadium this season. Cheer them on all the way through sections and state. Theme is Costume Out for Halloween, and we’ll see you there!

The Wayzata student section pretty in pink last week as they cheered on the Trojan boys from their home stadium.

TROJAN NATION

XX