Apple’s ‘Screen Time’ Affecting Students in a Negative Way

The above image shows the collected data from Wayzata High School student's screen time

Students and parents are concerned with the amount of time that their kids spend on their cell phones in a day, and what they choose to spend their time on. Wayzata parent Brette Anderson Rexine said, “Phones are being used too much and are ruining their [students’] social interactions.”

Parent Lauri Brunner said “Content kids are viewing has a negative impact on kids’ lives in my opinion.” 

Most students underestimated how much time they spend on their phones. Newer Apple products allow their user to check their daily and weekly amount of ‘screen time’, or amount of time they spend on their phone. 

Junior Megan Glynn estimated that she spends around three hours on her phone each day. She then checked her daily average and it was an actual time of five hours and twenty-three minutes.

Glynn said, “I feel like I have way more time to be on my phone since I don’t have anything after school.” 

Sophia Christopherson (12) totaled thirty-six hours last week. Tik Tok took up fourteen of those hours. 

“I knew it was going to be high, but I didn’t think it would be that high. I am very surprised,” said Christopherson.

Junior Audrey Friesen said that she sets an alarm on her phone that tells her when she needs to be off Tik Tok or any other social media platform. 

8th grader Henry Kirt said that he is on his phone for forty-five hours a week.

“I only use Instagram and Shredsauce.” 

He then checked his actual usage of apps and saw that Shredsauce was being used for fifteen of the forty-five hours. He was surprised at the fact that a third of the time spent on his phone was from one app.

Kirt said, “I use my phone right before I go to bed, and my eyes hurt after playing shredsauce for hours. It’s kinda embarrassing.”

Screen time has completely changed sleep schedules for teens. The Alaskan Sleep Clinic conducted a research and found that adolescents who partook in more than 3.5 hours of screen time a day were more likely to suffer sleep deprivation than those with only two hours of screen time. 

According to the Alaskan Sleep Clinic, “Too much light, as emitted from video screens, at night can affect melatonin production and fool the brain into thinking the body isn’t ready for sleep.”

According to Child Mind Institute, screen time has promoted anxiety and shown lower self esteem. “In a way, texting and online communicating—it’s not like it creates a nonverbal learning disability, but it puts everybody in a nonverbal disabled context, where body language, facial expression, and even the smallest kinds of vocal reactions are rendered invisible.”

Sophomore Peter Erickson confessed his screen time opinions and said, “I think screen time has changed my social life because I’m on my phone more and that takes away time I could be talking, but I think I’m better than a lot of people.” 

“I think it is a problem now in society. Before Tik Tok, I would not spend much time on my phone. The app also does not show the time on it, so it is hard to even keep track of time,” said Christopherson.

Junior Max Kuhl said that he has an average screen time three hours and seventeen minutes per day. Kuhl said,“I think screen time influences your interactions and social life because it can both increase and decrease how much interaction you get with other people.”