Preview of Wayzata Football vs. Burnsville (10/16)

The Trojan Boys celebrate their seventh consecutive win, continuing an undefeated season. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Katie Imdieke, Senior Writer

The Trojan football team is wrapping up the regular season this Wednesday night at Burnsville.

The undefeated Wayzata Trojan football team has been revving the engine all the way through to the end of the regular season, which is this Wednesday. With a quick turn around from Friday’s win at Shakopee 14-7, the Trojans are ready to hit the road again for another away game, and take on the struggling 1-6 Burnsville Blaze.

Last Friday’s matchup was what many would consider a trap game for the Trojan boys. Shakopee is a talented team, and they play some very competitive, low scoring games against tough teams. The offense didn’t get started right away for either team, as the score remained 0-0 at the end of the first quarter and deep into the second quarter. Eddie Beeninga had a fumble recovery midway through the first quarter that gave him the prized Outlaw Chain.

Junior cornerback, Eddie Beeninga ready for the next play. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

The Trojans got their passing game going. The first possession of the game resulted in an interception by Shakopee’s Elijah Ofori, who has verbally committed to University of South Dakota to play football. The offense seemed to find their groove in the second quarter, with a passing touchdown to sophomore wide receiver, Julian Diedrich. The Sabers scored on a 15 yard run in the third quarter, but the Trojans answered with the final score of the game in the fourth quarter, another passing touchdown, but this time to quarterback Tom Schmidt’s favorite target, senior wide receiver Jake Wildermuth.

Sophomore Julian Diedrich (number 11) gets a lift as the Wayzata offense celebrates their first touchdown of the game on Friday. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

The game turned into a real nail-biter at the end when the Sabers got within six yards of another touchdown, one that would have tied the game at 14 (assuming the extra point would have been attempted and made). The Wayzata “Darkside” (defense) did what they do best, as nose guard Malaki Jackson secured the win with a sack of Shakopee’s quarterback, David Bigaouette, on 4th and goal with six yards to go. Jackson is a good team player to have on either side of the ball: “To be able to play both sides is an honor and a challenge that I take a lot of pride in,” said Jackson. In addition to being a nose guard, he is a strong running back that played an important lead blocking role in the Shakopee game.

Malaki Jackson (number 5) getting ready for fourth down during the Shakopee game. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

The Burnsville Blaze has had their fair share of struggles this season, with their only win coming against a winless Eagan team, only an 18-8 game. The Blaze are in a district with defending state champions Lakeville North Panthers. The Lakeville South Cougars, who just scratched the Panthers 18 game winning streak during Week six, are also a tough competitor in the Metro West. Farmington is a  5-2 team, and Rosemount has brought a strong presence with only a 4-3 record, but more fight than their just over .500 record indicates.

The coaches celebrating a huge play by the “Darkside Defense” on fourth down to secure the win on Friday versus Shakopee. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

The Trojans know not to go into any game too smug, and they will bring a can-do attitude to Burnsville High School. Game start is 7:00pm on Wednesday, October 16th. Theme is black out, junior girls wear your Junior Jocks shirt to support your boys, Senior Ladies wear your Senior Studs shirt to match the blackout theme.