Players to Watch as the Wayzata Trojan Girls Soccer Team Starts Their Sections Run

Katie Imdieke, Senior Writer

The Wayzata Trojan Girls Soccer team is ready to make yet another sections run with a hopeful glance at playing in the state tournament US Bank Stadium for the third year in a row. The Trojans start section playoffs against #6 seed Hopkins on Thursday, October 10th.

Captain Maya Turner is getting ready for her fourth and final year as an integral member of the varsity squad. She has high hopes for her final year in a Trojan uniform, but knows she needs to keep her team with a level head, “We need to go in with confidence, but not to underestimate anyone. We need to stay focused on ourselves, work hard, and play our best soccer.” said Turner.

Along with Turner, there are many other girls who have shown up ready to play this season. Among them, goalie Kylee Stoner. The junior has been a leader on the defensive side of the ball all season long. She saved every shot in a no score, double overtime tie against Eden Prairie last week, and many credit her for the Trojans’ tough fight as a team. Stoner feels she has more to contribute, and is hopeful for the team to make a big run. When asked about her mindset for the games, Stoner said: “I am excited and nervous, and although this is my first sections game, I know I need to stay confident and play like I have been. Both of my sisters were varsity goaltenders, and I have learned a lot from them.”

There are very few underclassmen on this team, with only four sophomores and one freshman on their sections roster. Freshman midfielder Summer Seamans was brought up to the varsity team very early in the season,“It was very intimidating at first, but all of the girls were welcoming and open. They made it easy to adjust by just treating me like another teammate,” says Seamans. She is excited about the contributions she can make to this 8-6-2 team in their sections run. Seamans has certainly been someone to count on this season with many playing minutes in every game. She has found her place on the team by learning how to be a leader on the field despite being the youngest athlete,“Everyone is a leader on this team because it is so upperclassmen heavy, and everyone chips in with what they can do to make the team better as a whole,” she says.

Going into a game against Hopkins on Thursday, October 10th with a #3 seed means that the Trojans will be playing just across the parking lot at the Wayzata High School stadium. “We are definitely more comfortable playing on our home field. We have a greater Wayzata fan section, which helps our energy,” Turner said. The Hopkins Royals are going into sections with a 4-8-3 record, and two regular season losses to the Trojan girls. The Trojans beat Hopkins on their home field on September 10th with a 4-0 final score, and at Hopkins’ home field on September 26th with a final score of 2-0. “We are all in the mindset that we cannot get ahead of ourselves just because we beat them twice. It definitely helps us to remain confident that we can beat them, but their [Hopkins] varsity goalie is very talented. We just need to come out ready to attack and score first,” says Seamans on attempting to beat Hopkins for the third time this season.

Come on out to the Wayzata High School Stadium to watch Maya Turner, Kylee Stoner, Summer Seamans, and the rest of the Trojan girls take on the Hopkins Royals in their first sections game on Thursday, October 10th at 5:00pm. Stay for the doubleheader and catch the Trojan boys take on Robbinsdale Armstrong at 7:00pm. Dress warm and cheer loud Trojan Fans!

TROJAN NATION

XX