Preview of Wayzata Football vs. Minnetonka (10/4)

Katie Imdieke, Senior Writer

Keys for Trojan Triumph Against a Winless Minnetonka Team

The undefeated No. 2 ranked Wayzata Trojan football team is back home this week for a huge district and Lake Conference matchup against a struggling Minnetonka squad. Wayzata has not started a season 5-0 since fall 2011.

The team celebrating last week’s win against Eden Prairie. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

On the line: the coveted Bay Bell, a trophy which has lived the Minnetonka trophy case for the past 3 years. Wayzata Athletic Director, Jaime Sherwood, talked about the significance of the Bay Bell trophy: “This trophy goes back to 2005. Minnetonka beat us in the state championship game at the end of the 2004 season. We played them the first game of the season in 2005, and a student had an idea to bring this trophy into the big rivalry. It has the scores of Skipper vs Trojan matchups back to the start.” The Trojan boys are ready to bring it home after a huge home matchup: “It is fun to play for a traveling trophy like that. It brings more meaning to the game. It’s been a good thing to do to add more to this rivalry,” says Sherwood.

The last time the Trojans hoisted the Bay Bell trophy was the 2015 season. They are hoping to bring it back to Wayzata High School. Credit to MN Football Hub.

To come out on top in this trophy matchup, the Trojans need to keep a level head. Defensive Coordinator Jordan Halverson said: “They [Minnetonka] might not have had success so far this season, but our boys can’t get cocky. We need to keep our heads down and keep grinding, play our game of football.” 

The Trojans need to take the 1-0 mentality with them into this rumble against the Skippers because Minnetonka has shown promise in their last couple of games. Two weeks ago, Mounds View escaped with a one point victory from Minnetonka, and the Skippers did not stop working until the final buzzer. Last week, the Skippers lost a one possession game 21-14 against Shakopee. The Sabers team has shown a lot of promise against ranked Metro teams this season.

Defensive Coordinator, Jordan Halverson, talking to his first string about what he sees on the field. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Minnetonka is still seeking a new on-field leader to replace Aaron Syverson, who moved on to play football at Colorado State. They have exhausted numerous options in sophomores Tyler Lien, Joe Gendreau, and junior Jaxen Iverson. It is in the air which quarterback will start for Friday Night Lights, but all seem to be equally effective for this struggling team. Minnetonka does have a decent run game, however, led by junior running back Ben Tolkinen. Tolkinen is a double threat on offense. He racked up 73 rush yards and 26 receiving yards in last week’s loss against Shakopee, including a 65 yard run, in which the play after resulted in a touchdown.

The Trojans need to continue playing their game. They have been extremely dynamic this season after 3 mediocre seasons in a row. This can be attributed to the stacked defense, a strong run game, and a bond that can’t be broken between the boys on the field. The Outlaw Chain needs to be passed, and senior Casey Winterer is ready to bestow it on the next stud on the defensive side of the ball: “It’s cool for it to pass on, everyone can kind of get their moment of glory with the Outlaw Chain. Show everything we’ve been working for.”

Featured is senior linebacker, Casey Winterer, with the Outlaw Chain: “I worked hard for this, but I am ready to pass it on, I had my moment.” Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Come cheer on your Wayzata Trojan boys under the Friday Night Lights at home this week at 7:00. The theme for the game this week is Tackle Cancer. Please wear your Tackle Cancer shirt to support the Randy Shaver foundation and the fight to end cancer. Shirts are sold at lunch the whole week leading up to the game, as well as at the game for $15. Bandanas are sold for $5 to help individualize the fight against cancer. Let’s tackle cancer, and tackle the Skippers!

The Wayzata student section at Eden Prairie last week. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.