Preview of Wayzata Football vs. EP

The team celebrating last week’s win against Eden Prairie. Credit to Dave Wildermuth.

Katie Imdieke, Senior Sports Writer

A look at your Friday night lights matchup this week, as the Trojans take some swagger to Eden Prairie

“There’s a bigger sense of camaraderie this year for sure. This is a tight knit team. You walk onto the field with your brothers by your side,” said Captain Jonas Waskosky. Credit to Dave Wildermuth

The Wayzata Trojan football team has been off to an unstoppable 4-0 start after finishing last season with a record of 5-5. “This year’s different. The chemistry of this team has made all the difference, walking onto the field with your brothers who you love and you’d do anything for,” said senior Quarterback Tom Schmidt. 

Credit to Dave Wildermuth

USA Today called Friday’s Eden Prairie matchup one of the top 15 games in the nation this week. Captain Christian Vasser said, “We know in the back of our minds that this is a big game, but it’s important that we keep playing how we have been the past couple weeks, playing our game of football.” 

The last time the Trojans beat the Eagles was in 2012 at the Eagles’ home field in a regular season-low scoring affair. “It’s really about pride,” said Captain Jonas Waskosky. “This group of seniors has played against the same Eden Prairie guys since freshman year. They want to take the win from us on their homecoming night, but we don’t want to let that happen.”

1-0 Mindset 

The Trojans take their 1-0 mentality very seriously, it is all on their helmets as a reminder. Vasser featured taking his run game 1-0. Credit to Dave Wildermuth

Head Coach Lambert Brown said “We might be a 4-0 team, but we need to go forward and win every moment, be 1-0 on every moment. We have our minds set on what’s in front of us all the time. The past doesn’t matter. After winning a moment, we will be refocusing and moving onto what’s next.

The Strong Offensive Side of the Ball

Featured is the offensive line, led by #75, captain Jonas Waskowsky. Credit to Dave Wildermuth

“All of us trust Coach Brown with our lives, we trust him with everything. The brothers and I go out on the field and we know we are in good hands,” says Vasser. Vasser made headlines with 227 rushing yards in a 28-18 win at St. Michael-Albertville last week. Waskosky said “The lineman aren’t the big names or anything, but our boys know the pride we have. We get recognized by our playmakers because we know we are a crucial part of this system. We put our heads down and don’t stop the grind.”

The Loud and Proud Trojan Defense

Sam Robertson takes down Blaine’s running back in week 1’s matchup. Credit to Dave Wildermuth

Senior Joe Demro said, “I am a captain, but you don’t need to be a captain to lead. With a senior-heavy defense, everyone is a leader and everyone does their job.” Demro had five sacks in the Trojans’ week two drubbing of Edina.

The “Outlaw Chain” made a comeback this year to “add some swag to the defense,” said senior cornerback Sam Robertson. “We are called one of the best defenses in the state. We take that mentality into every game, and prove it to everyone why we deserve that title. Everyone needs to do their one eleventh. The front seven have to line up correctly, and the backfield has to be a brick wall to protect against big gains,” Robertson said.  

Joe Demro gets the sack and forced fumble of the Bengals’ quarterback week 1 against Blaine. Credit to Dave Wildermuth

Facing Eden Prairie will be a tough matchup no doubt, but the defense continues to rally on their side of the ball. Join the Trojan Fan Section in your camoflauge and blaze orange at 7:00pm under the Friday Night Lights at Aerie Stadium to cheer on the boys

XXX

TROJAN NATION

Wayzata student section week 1 against Blaine Credit to Dave Wildermuth