Softball Kicks Off Section Tournament

Sam Lavely, Sports Editor

The softball team started their section tournament on Monday with a dominant 9-0 win over Minneapolis Southwest after an abysmal regular season.
The Trojans had a rough start to the season, losing four of their first five games, but became more consistent by the end, finishing with a final regular season record of five wins and eleven losses.
One of the interesting components of the season came with the low success level in away games. Wayzata won only one of six away games throughout the season, while splitting home games 4-5. Senior pitcher Kayla Krzewinski commented on the impact of home games, saying “[they] tend to be easier since we are more hyped up to play at home.”
While the sub-0.500 season leaves room for improvement next year, the team finished with their most wins since the 2016 season. Each of the past two years, Wayzata has ended the regular season with three or fewer wins. Krzewinski, who has been on the team since her freshman year, credits head coach Kelsey Anderson and new assistant coach Lizzy Swenson.
“It has been a combination of our head coach and assistant coach adjusting to the position… [Swenson] has really brought a competitive edge and love for the sport that we seemed to be missing,” said Krzewinski.
The record may have risen this year, but sophomore Alexis Oelfke is already looking toward improvements for the future.
Oelfke believes that one of the keys to success next year will be a more efficient, focused offense, elaborating that “we haven’t scored that many runs this year.” The Trojans scored sixty-two runs through sixteen games this year, including two shutout losses and five games with one run scored.
The Trojans have to stay focused throughout the entire game, according to Oelfke, saying “we could usually get through the first four innings and then when it got to the fifth, we would fall apart.”
Sections will continue on Wednesday against Edina, who the girls lost twice to this year. Hopefully the momentum of this last 9-0 win can push them to victory.