Swinging Into The New Season

Swinging Into The New Season

Senior Ben Leuthner prepares for his at-bat. Photo by Mason Karg

Lauren Lubenow, Senior Staff Writer

Boys baseball is in mid-season approaching their sections game with an 11-7 record. This season the boys not only changed up their fields, but added a new coach to their team. Billy Soule, a 2009 Wayzata graduate, returned this season as assistant coach.
Senior pitcher Blake Ask said “Billy has been awesome, and I am very happy he was added to the staff. I’ve been able to spend a lot of time with him, as he works with the pitchers… since day one we’ve had a really good connection, and he’s taught me a lot of things.”
Soule started three years as a varsity baseball player at Wayzata and then played at the University of Minnesota for four years throughout college. Afterwards, he played for the St. Paul Saints for one season and was a volunteer coach for Wayzata back in 2014.
“I hope to bring even more experience to the coaching staff, and help these players in any way possible. I had a lot of fun playing the game, and was fortunate to play for some great coaches. It is my turn to help our players just relax and play baseball,” said Soule.
Coming in as a coach, Soule said he has some goals in mind. “My goal for this season is to help each player in any way possible. Not everyone learns the same way, so us coaches need to find out what makes each player tick. I want all of our players to have the same experience I did.”
Another change to this season was the new playing fields. There were some renovations back in 2017, but now the current field at the high school has redone grass and new lights.
“The new field at the high school is pretty similar to before the 2017 renovations, but they added lights so now we play all of our home games at a later time which is nice so we can go home in between school and games,” said Senior Captain Keegan Nickel.
“We also added a wind screen that has our conference, section and state championships on it. We like it because it is nice to show other teams and is a good reminder of our goal to win the conference, sections, and state every year,” said Senior Jarrett DesLauriers.
Nevertheless, the boys have been enjoying a great season so far and are very excited for their section games that start next week.
Nickel said “[the team’s] main goal this season is to go to sections and compete for the section title and ultimately win it. Then if we win sections we go to state and the goal is to play good baseball and see where it goes.”