Think Bigger: WHS Students Set to Leave the U.S.

Kelsey Deering, Media Editor

Emma Judickas (12) and Srishti Patel (12) on decision day. Photo courtesy of Emma Judickas.

Hopes to travel outside the United States during secondary education seems to be a common occurrence among Wayzata’s graduating class. According to the Trojan Tribune survey, 56% of graduates are looking to study abroad. While the majority of Wayzata High School’s 2019 Senior Class are attending universities across the nation that provide these chances to go “international” for a week, semester, and even a year, a couple WHS students are choosing to do it a little differently. Two of those are senior Emma Judickas, who will be attending the University of Manitoba, a public school in Canada’s Winnipeg province, and Senior Phil Abeldinger will be attending the London School of Economics (LSE) in the fall of 2019.
“Going to college in the U.K. has always been on my bucket list, which is why I only applied to four schools here in the states,” said Abeldinger.
According to Abeldinger, simply just studying abroad isn’t enough for him to feel fully submerged in a new culture. “What the program LSE offers is also right up my ally. In the U.K., [at secondary institutions] you study your major (and only your major) for all four years of your degree. There are no liberal arts requirements, and by extension, there is way more time dedicated to learning what you actually want to know.”
Abedlinger is planning on studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics as a part of the triple major opportunity LSE offers its students.
According to Judickas, when the opportunity arose to go to school internationally, she “had to take advantage of it.”
“I feel that studying in Canada is a happy medium for me. It’s close enough and similar enough to the U.S. that it is a safe leap for me after finishing high school. I still get the college experience but also feel at home,” said Judickas.
“I’m also excited to take advantage of the nursing program [The University of Manitoba] has to offer. Once I’m a nurse, my license and degree automatically transfers to the United States if I were to come back and practice,” said Judickas.
According to both Judickas and Abeldinger, a new country comes with a lot of adjustments that have to be made.
“Being with a completely new and diverse group of people is going to be different. The University of Manitoba is an international school so there are going to be so many different and unique groups of people,” said Judickas.
“Brits are more similar to Americans than they are different. Maybe the sarcasm can be a bit biting at times, but then again I can always counter with the Minnesota nice,” said Abeldinger.
According to Abeldinger, being in such close proximity to other European nations is another plus of going to LSE. “European culture is fun and efficient. You can easily board a bullet train in London at 7 and be in Paris, Berlin or Rome by 10. It would be a new experience for me, since I’ve only ever been to Europe twice,” said Abeldinger.
The University of Manitoba and the London School of Economics are both major international universities who accept students from across the globe. With this in mind, According to both Judickas and Abeldinger, they are ready for the new and sudden change.
“Thankfully I’m not headed to the non-French-speaking part of Canada, so the language barrier won’t be too bad.” said Judickas.
“When I got to tour schools in the United Kingdom in April, I found the vast differences in habits and mannerisms intriguing between us and the Brits. British people have a way dryer sense of humor, which I, of course, appreciate.” said Abeldinger.
“My first trip to Canada was a couple months ago when I visited the University. I didn’t originally think I’d be attending college out-of-state, nonetheless out of the country! There is a lot of exploring and learning to do when I go there.” said Judickas.

Phil Abeldinger at the London School of Economics. Photo courtesy of Phil Abeldinger.