Let the Rumor Die. Wayzata High School Does Recycle

Wayzata High School's dumpsters. Photo by Deena Kassem.

Deena Kassem, Opinion Editor

According to Waste Management Media Contact for Minnesota Julie Ketchum, WHS is actually required by state law to recycle. The Minnesota Commercial Recycling Law states: “a public entity must ensure that facilities under its control collect paper, glass, plastic, and metal to transfer all recyclable materials to a recycler.”
  According to the Minnesota Pollution Agency, under the Commercial Recycling Law: “recycling is required when a building is located in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, or Washington County, and the total trash generated by the building is four cubic yards or more per week.”
  According to Wayzata High School Head Custodian Kirk Decamp, WHS has three dumpsters outside: trash, recyclables, and compost.
“The cafeteria is segregated into the three cans. In classrooms we have the black tall cans to take all recyclables and a small trash can by the teacher’s desk for trash—although there really isn’t much trash,” said Decamp.
  “I’ve worked with the Wayzata Public Schools on a few recycling grant projects where we awarded the district funding to improve recycling/organics,” said Hennepin County School Recycling Specialist Kira Berglund. “The most recent was from 2015 to 2017 to add a three-stream sorting stations—recycling, organics, and trash—in the hallways throughout the district. They also added organics bins to collect paper towels for composting in the restrooms at the high school.”
  Despite attempts, Wayzata is still not perfect when it comes to recycling. According to Decamp, there are days when the recycling and compost bins in the cafeteria are thrown in the trash after a lunch period. “The whole lunchtime thing is hard because the majority of kids exit one way out of the cafeteria. It happens because if they are way too contaminated, then we can’t go through the garbage,” said Decamp.
  According to the Minnesota Pollution Agency nearly 75% of what Minnesotans throw in the trash could be recycled.
“I think people are conscious and doing their part, as individuals, all of us we have the components there, we just have to have self responsibility,” said Decamp.