The STEM Field Advances in Education

April 22, 2019

The STEM Field Advances in Education

Design by Katie Lins.

Design by Katie Lins.

Design by Katie Lins.

Design by Katie Lins.

Science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) programs such as Compass are known for giving both intellectual education as well as hands-on education; the biggest reason being that 70 percent of jobs require both skills to make it in the modern workforce according to research done by Citrus College.
  The income increase that comes with having a college degree, like a person with a bachelor degree earning an average of 22,000 dollars more annually than a person with an associate’s degree, is only based on the average of the 25-75 percentiles of full time adult workers so a traditional college degree is not an automatic setup to financial success in our current economy. STEM helps the students use their savings the most efficiently based on the savings.
  Engineering, Technology, and Design Chair Member Kyle Swenson said, “There has been a lot of research done. For every ten jobs within the United States, two of them require a bachelor degree or more, one of them requires graduate work like a master’s degree or doctor’s degree, but 7 don’t require a bachelor, master, or doctor’s degree. They require some sort of targeted training.”
  According to Swenson, despite the population growing within the US, this ratio has not changed since the early 1900s. “We were sending 80 percent of our students to fill only 30 percent of the jobs in the United States. That math doesn’t work there,” said Swenson. “We’re seeing now there’s tons of students that come out with college degrees, but their doing jobs that require a college degree.” According to Compass Coordinator Scott Tordeur, with the expansion of courses in the field over the last few years, requirements for courses to receive the title STEM will change: “We’re kind of changing what STEM looks like. For a lack of a better way of putting it, what boxes that would need to be checked off for a class to become a STEM course.”
  More STEM courses in the future seems unlikely, however, to Tordeur because Wayzata would not want to become STEM designated. The title has to be “earned and deserved,” said Tordeur.