A 614 Word Rant

Deena Kassem, Opinion Editor

Deena Kassem

So if you haven’t been living under a rock than you already know about the college
admissions scandal starring television’s favorite 90s sitcom character Aunt Becky. Lori
Loughlin, the famous actress who played Aunt Becky in Full House, was one of the 50 parents charged in the 2019 college admissions bribery scandal, or Operation Varsity
Blues as it has been nicknamed. Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli, who
owns the fashion company Mossimo, are accused of paying 500,000 dollars to get their
two daughters, Olivia Jade Giannulli and Isabella Rose Giannulli into the University of
Southern California as recruits for the women’s rowing team, despite the fact that neither
of the girls actually row.
  What’s particularly hilarious, is that Olivia Jade has a rather popular Youtube channel,
where she posts intriguing content such as her luxury christmas gifts, getting ready for
college parties, and how little education actually matters to her. In my opinion her best
video, which has since been taken down, Olivia Jade is quoted, “I don’t know how much
of school I’m gonna attend but I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and
hope that I can try and balance it all,” she said, “but I do want the experience of like game
days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”
  Now, don’t get me wrong I’m upset that all of these kids get to go to these top schools
just because their parents pulled out an extra few bands, however, Olivia Jade pisses me
off in particular. And part of me feels like I can’t even get mad because I can’t get into
schools like USC or Yale on my on merit, but that’s exactly why I’m not going to USC
or Yale, because I don’t academically belong to be there. That’s not sad, that’s the truth.
So for Olivia Jade to get into a school like USC and complain about going is honestly so
vexing. She is taking, no not taking, stealing the spot of some kid who actually not only
deserves to study at USC but also wants to be there. Its insulting to the kids who actually
have worked hard to get to where they are, and insulting to the ones who were rejected
for her and other frauds to get in.
  As if that’s not enough to already hate Olivia Jade she’s reportedly not speaking to her
parents because she’s extremely upset at them for getting her into USC. She claimed she
didn’t know that her parents bribed her way into school, but do any of us honestly believe
that? She didn’t know that she was recruited to be on the rowing team? Seriously? Olivia
Jade knows more than well that she was recruited to be on the rowing team, she posed
for photos on a rowing machine. She knew more than well that she did not actually have
the academic integrity to get into a school like USC, but now that she is facing all this
heat she’s trying to play dumb and ditzy so she can salvage whatever is left of her career.
Speaking of, she claims that her parents have ruined her career. As if her career wasn’t
served to her on silver platter from her parents. None of us would know who she was if
her mom wasn’t Aunt Becky on Full House. Most of us didn’t even know who she was
until this scandal broke out. If she were truly upset that she was at a school knowing that
she wasn’t supposed to be there she could always drop out, as all of us guys know, she
doesn’t really care about school.