Looking Outside the Bubble

Tara Stroup, Guest Writer

Tara Stroup

Everyday life is full of tumultuous events, whether it’s friend drama, local catastrophes, or nationwide politics. There is something new everyday.
  With so much going on around us, it can be easy to forget about the problems of the larger world. There are many global issues that should be talked about by Wayzata High School students, like climate change, Chinese detention camps for Muslims, and Brexit.
  Living in an affluent Minnesota suburb, it can be easy to fall prey to the Wayzata bubble, but it is vitally important to stay engaged in global issues. In our narcissistic society, one of the best ways to be self-aware of privilege and the struggles of communities different than your own is to become educated on international issues and politics.
  Many cultural and political issues in America today could be solved if citizens took a look outside of the U.S. and saw what was going on in other countries. One important issue that needs a solution is climate change, and by looking at how other countries have successfully and affordably taken steps to help with the problem, it can guide America towards a solution as well. For example, on January 1, 2019, Germany became powered by 100 percent sustainable energy, which they did through wind, solar, and biomass plant power. Germany also has the fourth largest economy in the world, showing that even large economies, like the United States, can continue to prosper using renewable energy.
  If American citizens were more aware of successes like this, it may propel the politicians and population as a whole towards a sustainable energy program.
  A similar popping of the American (or Wayzata) bubble can help with race relations as well. Most Americans only understand or know about American culture. By learning about the current events and culture of other nations, it can promote a more accepting society.
  In President Trump’s last travel ban, one of the countries included was Yemen, a country that has been in a civil war since 2015, and their innocent citizens are being brutally bombed and violated. There is an overwhelming amount of displaced people in Yemen and nowhere near enough international assistance. Of the citizens stuck in Yemen, 15 million (or 53 percent of the population), are starving, and 1.1 million people are struggling with cholera.
  75 percent of the population needs humanitarian aid of some kind. The message behind the Trump travel ban was that it was protecting U.S. citizens from harmful terrorists, but really it’s refugees who are in dire need of assistance. If the crisis in Yemen was more common knowledge among U.S. citizens, there may have been more of an upset over the ban. The issues of the world and the issues of America are much more intertwined than it seems at first glance, which is why it is important to become educated about the world. To create a stable and positive community, complete awareness is essential.