Boys Tennis is All Set for the Season

Will+Deters+%2811%29+returns+a+point+in+the+April+6th+match+versus+Eastview.+Photo+by+Twin+Cities+Photography.+

Boys Tennis is All Set for the Season

Will Deters (11) returns a point in the April 6th match versus Eastview. Photo by Twin Cities Photography.

Sam Lavely, Sports Editor

Two matches into the year, the Wayzata boys tennis team is rolling off to an unsteady start.
The first match of the season was on April 8th against Eastview High School. The Trojans lost 2-5. However, they bounced back in their second match against Maple Grove, winning a commanding six sets to the Crimson’s one.
  Going into the first match, according to the Minnesota Tennis Coaches Association, Wayzata was ranked fourth in the state to Eastview’s fifth.
  Senior captain John Foley said, “They are a very solid team. They lost very few seniors last year and are competitive at all seven spots.”
  Losing upperclassmen is a key component in high school sports. The loss of these players means a less experienced team that has more to overcome throughout the season.
  While Wayzata did lose several players from last year’s roster, they also added two eighth graders, Brad Hagan and Dhiren Akkina.
  According to Foley, if they can “learn the ‘tricks’ to high school tennis,” they could be key players for the team.
  The team to watch out for this year is The Blake School. The Bears just joined class 2A last year, but wasted no time, winning the state title while taking out the Trojans along the way.
  “Our team certainly has our sights set on Blake for an upset,” said Foley.
  Edina is another team the Trojans must keep on their radar as they currently hold the number one seed in the state. The Trojans have many obstacles they must pass in order to win their fifth state championship.