Synchro’s Road to Another State Tournament

Synchro+practices+in+preparation+for+the+season.+Photo+courtesy+of+Riley+Ruegemer.+

Synchro practices in preparation for the season. Photo courtesy of Riley Ruegemer.

Lauren Lubenow, Senior Staff Writer

Wayzata’s girls synchronized swim team is currently mid-season hoping to bring home their 13th state championship title. Along with a few changes, the girls are ready to bring their A-game with new routines and some new figures.
  “The new figures that need to be learned and performed this year are called the kip and heron. Learning these figures are challenging so they need to be prioritized more than others in order to perfect them,” said Senior Kate Pouliot.
  This season, the girls are learning their routines much earlier than previous years along with meeting strict deadlines for those routines.
  Sophomore Lydia Gengler said, “The stricter deadlines have a good impact on the team because it motivates us to utilize our time wisely, and to help us grow our skills efficiently. It does put stress on the team, but it’s a positive stress that helps us work harder to learn the routines and figures.”
  “We have many more deadlines regarding how much of our routine we need to know, but this helps the team stay on track and prevents scrambling right before our big meets,” said Junior Annabel Hasemen.
  Learning the routines earlier than previous years can help the team better prepare for sections.
  The girls also have invited in a new member of their team, Coach Sarah Ridley, as a speed swimming and dryland coach. In addition to their normal synchro practice, the girls now complete a speed swimming workout as well as a dryland practice. Ridley also coaches the middle school swim team in the fall.
  “The workouts include strength training out of the water which is great for building muscle that will help for figures and routines. The speed swimming practices help us with speed for traveling in the routines, which earn us more points at meets. This addition to practice is great, and will bring us great results at the end of the season,” said Gengler.
  This year, the 2019 State Championships will be held in Rochester instead of being at the University of Minnesota, as it has in the past; this is because the pool is currently under construction and not usable for their meet. This does create some worry and stress for the team because they will be performing in an unfamiliar environment along with a further drive.
  “It will be an interesting adjustment to have state in Rochester this year because the meet is now further away than normal and at a different pool than we are used to. The schedule of the meet also changed, so there will not be figures competition at the meet,” said Pouliot. “It is not ideal given the distance and the different setting, but we will make the most of it and plan accordingly.”
  So far the season is starting off strong with fun showcases and other meets. Coming up, the girls have the annual Synchro Show Event on Thursday, May 16th from 5:00-6:00 P.M at West Middle School. It is a free event and a great way to support the girls by coming out and watching their routines.