A New Take on Vaping

A New Take on Vaping

Courtesy of Partners in Prevention.

Courtesy of Partners in Prevention.

Courtesy of Partners in Prevention.

Courtesy of Partners in Prevention.

Joe Kottke, Editor-in-Chief

“This campaign is different from any project that we’ve ever done,” said Partners in Prevention (PIP) Director Alison Wobschall.
  In addition to the traditional poster-based campaign, PIP created a mailable pamphlet: “we sent out a vaping brochure to every high school household. That was the first time we ever did a direct mailing and that speaks for itself regarding the need for this information to be shared immediately,” said Wobschall.
  According to Wobschall, the posters were designed, revised many times, and tested by two different groups of WHS students from the Compass Program. The vaping brochures were designed and created by PIP’s graphic design team.
  “Across the district, response has been great and there is a desire for more information to be shared with schools beyond the high school community. In the coming months, we will continue to work with people across the district to expand our reach,” said Wobschall.
  School communities have reached out asking to use PIP’s materials from Mankato, Minnesota to Syracuse, New York, said Wobschall.
  A recent session of Principal Scott Gengler’s “Coffee with the Principal” covered the topic of vaping, after the distribution of the vaping brochures across the district. “Parents were very appreciative of the information that was offered,” said Gengler.
  “We didn’t set out to tell students not to vape, but rather we wanted to share the information with them about the realities that are often covered up by tobacco companies,” said Wobschall.  “There are a lot of false narratives about vaping being safe and we felt that we needed to help youth understand it’s very addictive.”
  According to Wobschall, their mission is to correct the misconceptions of the rapidly emerging trend.
“There is a major learning curve with new concepts, so we needed to act quickly to inform everyone about the truth of vaping—from students, to parents, to school administration; everyone needed the facts,” said Wobschall.
  When facing the challenge of balancing information and outreach, Wobschall said supporting students in their overall wellness is always the number one priority.
“We’re not going to run around telling students to not use e-cigarettes, we want them to make the choice for themselves after knowing everything there is to know about it,” said Wobschall. “With that being said, we do support youth coming forward to get help. We know there must be hundreds of students already addicted to vaping. Students are being tricked into addiction and we fully support getting them resources and support to quit.”
  According to Wobschall, PIP will carry the vaping campaign into the 2019-2020 school year with the help of the Compass program, as well as curriculum integration into health classrooms.