Tumblin’ and Stumblin’

Tumblin’ and Stumblin’

Grace Treanor (11) at the State Gymnastics Meet. Photo courtesy of Tracy Treanor.

Sam Lavely, Sports Editor

The gymnastics team ended their season on February 14th, placing third in the Section 5AA meet.
  It was a rocky year for the Trojans, as they fared very well in head-to-head competitions, but fell short in several of their invitational meets.
  The girls won all but one of their head-to-head competitions, losing to Edina by 2.325 points in the first com
petition of the season.
  In their winning meets, the girls had an average margin of victory of 6.398 points, showing that the loss to Edina was very narrow and cut very close compared to other meets. Edina won all of their head-to-head meets, but none by more than 4.025 points
  In invitational meets, the team averaged a lower amount of points (~2) than they did in their dual meets.
  The team placed second at the Elk River Invitational, their first of the year, but never came home champions.
  Following the Elk River Invitational, the team placed sixth, tenth, fifth, and fifth in the Faribault, Lakeville, Wolfpack, and Breck Invitationals, respectively.
  After such finishes throughout the season, the girls entered the Section 5AA tournament against two of the top teams in the state, Champlin Park and Maple Grove.
  Champlin Park’s team included sophomore Chaney Neu, who became the first competitor ever to score a perfect 10 at the state meet while competing in the vault on February 24.
  Wayzata placed third at sections, knocking them out of contention for state and effectively ending their season. “Although we lost…I am still very proud of everything our team has accomplished this season,” said Senior Abby McNosky. She also explained that the season-opening loss to Edina took the Trojans out of the running for conference champions.
  Junior Grace Treanor was a bright spot for the team this year, contributing a significant amount of points in each meet and placing third overall individually at the section meet. “Grace [was] our anchor in the line-up for three out of four events…” said McNosky. “If we have a bad set we always know Grace is ready to put up a high score.”
  Grace Treanor, and her sister Isabel, were the only gymnasts from Wayzata that individually qualified for the state competition this year. Treanor said on the success of gymnastics teams, saying that “Gymnastics is a really challenging sport both mentally and physically. The teams that can get past mental barriers usually succeed.”
  This year’s gymnastics team, largely comprised of students grades seven through nine, made large strides for such a young team, and it is very important that the team continue to develop for next season with the Treanor sisters leading the way.