Celebration of Diversity Through Art

Celebration of Diversity Through Art

Darrion Gadsden (10), Deshaun Gadsden (9), and Isaiah Ray (10) dancing at Shades of Brown.

Joe Kottke

Joe Kottke

Joe Kottke

Lauren Lubenow, Senior Staff Writer

Last Thursday, students of all grade levels came together to put on the annual Shades of Brown performance. Singing, dancing, and spoken word are just a few of the different ways students expressed themselves during the show.
  Created to honor Black History month and to help students acknowledge influential experiences of the black community in the past, Shades of Brown is a performance in which students showcase their talents, “regardless of background, students can connect through art,” said performer Temidayo Ogunmodede.
  “I see Shades of Brown as a celebration of the talents of Wayzata, inclusive of all cultures,” said Ogunmodede. The senior sang “At Last” by Etta James.
  “I think Shades of Brown is important because there is a lot of hidden talent here and I think Shades of Brown is a good
platform to go out and show people what they got,” said Senior performer Matthew Kimathi.

Shades of Brown promotional poster designed by Senior Issy Hackley.

Host Camille Winston said “One moving performance, in my opinion, was when Dayo sang an Etta James song. It was so
beautiful and Dayo was the perfect person to sing that song.”
  While many students performed, there was also a huge attendance to the show. Those who did not attend were able to view the live-stream playing in the hall or in classrooms.
  “I was given the chance to watch Shades of Brown when I was in 8th grade and I thought it was so amazing. I knew I would definitely do it when I got to the high school,” said Ogunmodede.
  Gloria-Chelsea Akosa recited a memorable and very empowering poem she wrote, according to Ogunmodede. “The poem essentially talks about the hidden problems people of color have to face in a world of racist, prejudiced, and colorist notions about their skin color. I talk about how
even though most of the worst is in the past, it still affects people in the present and possibly those in the future which is why it’s important that we, as a society, understand and realize we can still change things in a positive way,” said Akosa.
  Not only did Akosa blow the crowd away, singers and dancers alike moved students to their feet. “My favorite moment was definitely the three boys dancing, it brought the crowd alive and everyone was dancing along,” Winston said.
  Winston said she wanted to host because she loves the event and its basis to include everyone and celebrate black history month.”
  “Shades of Brown is one of my favorite days of the year and I’ll definitely miss it when I graduate,” said Ogunmodede.

Joe Kottke
The contestants and hosts closing Shades of Brown.