Link Crew Revamps for Semester Two

Link Crew Revamps for Semester Two

Freshman Izzy Mayaka seen doing a Link Crew activity with Link Leader Stella
Olsen. Photo courtesy of Drew Smith.

Freshman Izzy Mayaka seen doing a Link Crew activity with Link Leader Stella Olsen. Photo courtesy of Drew Smith.

Joe Kottke, Editor-in-Chief

Link Crew will experience changes in the process of preparing and running freshman myTime according to Wayzata High School Dean Billy Lahr.
  A Link Leader canvas page will replace reminder emails, according to Lahr. “The page has the schedule, groups, activities, and any Link Crew announcements. We wanted to limit the number of emails Link Leaders receive due to the possibility of getting lost or forgotten,” said Lahr.
  Link Leaders will also be expected to submit completed notes for upcoming myTime activities in order to spend training sessions fine-tuning activities, instead of beginning the thinking and prepping stage, said Lahr.
  “Leadership requires proper planning, so all in all, we are simply working towards getting our Link Leaders better prepared for the Link Crew myTime activities,” said Lahr. “Link Leaders should be assured these notes will only take 15 to 20 minutes a month to complete.”
  The size of groups during myTime will be altered as well. According to Lahr, the groups now made up of 14 to 16 freshman with two link leaders will be split into two smaller groups. “It can be hard to hear freshmen share their responses, so we are going to split the groups into subgroups,” said Lahr. “It gives the Link Leaders an opportunity to lead their freshmen more directly, and we find that the conversations are deeper because smaller groups are more willing to share.”
  These changes come amidst responses from freshman, as well as general concern to improve Link Leader training. A freshmen survey, taken at the end of each myTime, shows the area needing the most attention is helping the freshmen make connections between activities and school life, said Lahr.
  According to Lahr, response has been mixed from Link Leaders, due to concern expressed over the ‘homework,’ and smaller groups.
  “Some Link Leaders have anxiety about added pressures to the role, as well as losing touch with freshmen who are not in their primary group, but all we’re asking for is to show preparation to lead the activities,” said Lahr. “In terms of the new smaller groups, the good news is that they’ll still have time at the beginning of each myTime to connect with those freshmen.”