A Time for Tragedy

Kelsey Deering, Senior Staff Writer

59 people killed, 527 injured, and the most horrific mass shooting in modern United States history is considered a tragedy that shook the nation. Today, the word tragedy is overused. Often times, to me, It serves as a go-to in society when anything negative happens.
  We know that 26 died in the Sandy Hook massacre, we know that 13 died at the Columbine High School shooting, we know 26 died in the shooting at a Texan church. However, did we know among these deaths, the names, stories and lives of those victims?
  It seems as of recently that Tragedies only serve as statistics to strengthen bill proposals, tarnish political leadership or glorify it. In Washington, we often see the outcome of tragedies as means to execute political goals.
  Bent and dismantled by those who need to appeal to the masses to secure a spot during the next election. 59 dead in Las Vegas is not just a number, it is not just “supporting evidence” for a bill and it’s not just a call for stricter gun control and better security. It is 59 mothers, fathers, daughters, sons and grandchildren who so suddenly and unexpectedly lost their time here on earth.
  Evil is what drove the gunman, 64 year old Stephen Paddock to kill dozens of people. With that being said, let a tragedy rest. Let families heal and let cities recuperate, without them being bombarded by political action committees. I am not saying that the deadliest shooting in modern American history does not demand political attention, I am saying it does not warrant personal political gain.
  There is a time for national change in the United States’ gun policy. However, the immediate aftermath of the shooting should consist of days of mourning, prayer and giving aid to comfort those affected.
  It is not a time to post blame. I beg that the hundreds of victims affected and the dozens of human lives lost are not turned into another statistic, one that is used to strengthen an argument on legislation that could be pushed aside in months to come. Now, months after the shooting, the call for an improved gun policy, and immediate attention and legislation has since dissipated, however the tragedy and loss is still resonant throughout the nation.
  It is my hope that immense amount of loss unites the United States of America in a time of hurt, loss and confusion, rather than cause division and anger among those pushing immediate political action, without even sparing a minute for those directly affected. It is my hope that citizens of the United States recognize this tragic event, learn, and never forget. Most importantly, the events in Vegas must unite us as a nation, rather than divide us. Recognize the tragedy, recognize those directly affected.
  Don’t just number this tragedy, acknowledge and remember the name to those numbers.