Dance Team Makes History Against Eastview

Senior Alison Gabler and the rest of the Trojets perform their jazz routine at the Wayzata Invitational. Photo courtesy
of Kelsey Deering.

Senior Alison Gabler and the rest of the Trojets perform their jazz routine at the Wayzata Invitational. Photo courtesy of Kelsey Deering.

Lauren Lubenow, Senior Staff Writer

The Wayzata Dance Team is cruising through their season and making history while they’re at it. The girls began their journey this season in late October with their light at the end of the tunnel being state in the middle of February. The Dance Team has one of the longest seasons at the high school. Within that long time, comes more practice. The Trojets have two-and-a-half hour long practices after school, but it is all paying off now.
  Recently, the girls made history at their competition against Eastview High School. Specifically for kick, Eastview hadn’t publicly lost a kick meet since 2010. This year at the Eastview invitational, the Trojets won kick while Eastview placed second. Captain Lauren Honke said, “It was definitely a feeling I’ll never forget. It’s so special to be a part of a team that is so incredibly strong in not just one dance, but in both.” “We’ve been pushing for years to become a stronger kick team and I think this year we really found our strength. We got second at state in kick all three of my past years and I know that my team and I are very determined to finally receive that blue medal for kick,” said Honke.
  Eastview is still a huge rival in their eyes even though they are not in the Lake Conference. The next possible meeting between the two schools would be at state. However, Edina has recently been pushing the girls to work and fight for their conference champions’ title. Honke said, “We did end up winning the championship, however Edina did beat us twice in jazz.” The Trojets are on the return for victory as they did place first in jazz beating Edina at the Wayzata Invitational this past weekend.
  Though the girls are on the road to state, they had some tough losses due to injuries. “Right now we have two knee injuries that put two dancers out for the rest of the season, which is very hard,” said Honke. Junior Erin Nelson is one of the two girls who currently is injured and is out for the rest of the season. According to Nelson, she tore her meniscus one day in practice and had to undergo season-ending surgery.
  “Even though I’m out for the rest of the season, I’m still really involved with the team and love cheering them on at meets as well as watching their dances develop in practice,” said Nelson. Put aside the injuries, the girls are on a strong path to state and becoming state kick champions. “Our saying this year is ‘All that we’ve got.’ which is very important to our entire team. For us it means that not just every performance but every minute of every practice we are giving it all we’ve got. We give it all we got for the girl next to us, knowing that she is doing the same,” said Honke.
  If all goes well for the Trojets, they will participate in the state championships on February 15th-16th at the Target Center.