A Once In a Lifetime Opportunity

A Once In a Lifetime Opportunity

Bella Golomb practicing her routine at a morning practice at Maple Grove Ice Arena. Photo
courtesy of Sam Sklar.

Bella Golomb practicing her routine at a morning practice at Maple Grove Ice Arena. Photo courtesy of Sam Sklar.

Sam Lavely, Sports Editor

Freshman figure skater Bella Golomb qualified in November for the 2019 GEICO U.S. Figure Skating Championships. This annual figure skating championship is known to be one of the most prestigious competitions in the country. According to the United States Figure Skating website, “The U.S. Championships serve as the final qualifying competition before U.S. Figure Skating names the 2019 World Figure Skating Team, 2019 World Junior Figure Skating Team and 2019 Four Continents Figure Skating Team.”
  Many champions from this tournament have moved on to compete in the Olympics; Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani who both competed in the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang. Golomb, along with her partner Skylar Weirens, qualified for the national tournament after placing fourth at the Midwestern National Figure Skating Championships in the Juvenile Dance event. The road to qualifying for Nationals has not been an easy one for Golomb. She moved to Minnesota in 2010 when she was just seven years old but began skating two years later in her backyard pond. “My mom thought I enjoyed it so I took up figure skating lessons,” said Golomb.
  From then on, it has been a lot of hard work for Golomb. Golomb said she practices around 15 hours a week before and after school commuting to morning practices in Maple Grove and afternoon practices in St. Paul.
  Having practices nearly every morning has resulted in Golomb missing a lot of school. To accommodate, Golomb takes an online class during first block every other day, which Golomb and her mother Jordan are both very thankful for. “It is really really nice especially since I have figure skating so early,” said Golomb.
  “We are thankful to Wayzata schools and teachers for helping her to excel academically,” said Bella’s mother Jordan Golomb. “Our experience has been true to the motto ‘Excellence. For each and every student.’”
  Wayzata will be starting a figure skating club this February.