2019-2020 Registration Guide

2019-2020 Registration Guide

Design by Katie Lins.

Design by Katie Lins.

Design by Katie Lins.

Design by Katie Lins.

Lauren Lubenow, Senior Staff Writer

Registration is happening now. You have from now until February 4th to register for the 2019-2020 school year. Registration happens on Skyward using your ISD email and password. The registration guide can be found on your school iPad as an application.
  There are nearly 90 pages of courses to choose from and in addition to that, many new courses are being added this year.
  Associate Principal Tyler Shepard’s word of advice: to list alternates. “They are important because if we can’t fit a student into a class, we don’t want to make that guess for the students,” said Shepard.
  If you are unsure of what to enroll in, meet with your counselor. “This year, they are working to have every freshman four-year plan drafted, so that students can have a heads-up approach of what classes students would like to take and fit in,” said Shepard.

Storytelling with Podcasts:

In an increasingly digital age, podcasts have become a popular method of storytelling. Whether listening in our cars, while preparing a meal, or as we settle in for a good night’s sleep, never before have we had so many narratives at our fingertips whenever and wherever we want. This course will examine the success of podcasts like Serial, which began by following a teenager convicted of first-degree murder; This American Life, National Public Radio’s look into the weird, humorous, and ironic stories that connect the nation; and The Moth, featuring true, first-hand accounts of life-changing events. After exploring the craft of podcast storytelling, students will create a mini-series examining a thematic concept of their own choosing and share the production with others.

Intro to Particle Physics:

This is course will allow students to explore some of the most current research being performed in the area of physics. What are the particles that make up protons and neutrons? What research is currently being done to better our understanding of matter and energy? Topics in this course will explore answers to these questions as well as introduce students to mysteries physicists are still working on such as dark matter, supersymmetry, and a modern explanation of gravity. Students in the course will construct a unique research question and answer it by analyzing current data.

Just Dance:

Getting ready for homecoming? Prom? Have a wedding coming up? Enjoy dancing? Whether you have never stepped foot on the dance floor or you’re a dancing master, this class is for you. This course offers students the opportunity to participate in a variety of different dances including line dances, social dances, hip-hop, Zumba, cultural dances and more. All ability levels are welcome and encouraged to come and dance with us.

Visual Communications through Art and Writing:

Students will be challenged to create a graphic novel that combines the art of storytelling through the combined skills of writing and visual communication. Students will study the history of comics; storytelling and the writing process, how to tell a story and the visual process; scripts (storyboards); images as narrative tools: drawing the story; influencing the reader: timing; development of characters; page layout & design: space relationships and camera angles; color theory and use of color; lettering & coloring; styles/history; tools, techniques and technology. Learning activities will include in-class assignments, lessons and projects: the 24 hour comic in a week-long format, doodling and free-writing, developing personal story, mapping out scenes, how to get through creative blocks, scriptwriting, and web comics

Project Based Physics:

This course will give students the opportunity to apply knowledge gained in previous physics courses to real-world situations. Students will devise, build and test devices used to complete various purposes and explain the physics principles incorporated in the design.

Advanced Placement Physics 1 & 2:

This is an introductory college level course that prepares students for further study in the physical sciences while also preparing them for the AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 exams. Major topics of study include motion, forces, energy, thermodynamics, modern physics, waves, sound, light, electricity and magnetism. This course is similar to Physics, Physics X, and AP Physics C, and a student would choose only one of these four courses.

Advanced Placement Physics C:

This is an introductory college level calculus-based physics course that prepares students for further study in the physical sciences, physics or engineering, while also preparing them for the AP Physics C: Mechanics and AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism exams. Major topics of study include motion, forces, energy, thermodynamics, waves, sound, light, electricity and magnetism. This course is similar to Physics, Physics X, and AP Physics 1 & 2 and a student would choose only one of these four courses. “The significant difference between the new AP Physics classes are the different levels of math required for the course,” said Shepard.

Circuits and Electronics:

This course will give students an ample introduction to electronic components and circuitry through circuit building. Students will explore the fundamental principles and concepts such as AC and DC circuits, Ohm’s Law, diodes, transistors, capacitors, and transformers. During this course students will work in small groups to complete lessons at their own pace.