Food for Everyone

Food for Everyone

Chef Jenny Breen serving at “Food for Everyone.” Photo by Joe Kottke.

Sam Sklar and Sam Lavely

Wayzata’s Ecology of Foods and Nutrition COMPASS program held the first “Food for Everyone” event at Wayzata High School on January 14th. Food for Everyone was intended to raise awareness for food waste and insecurity in our community, providing meals made from rescued food. The event also had several information booths for organizations such as Fish & Loaves, Interfaith Outreach, and the WHS Garden.
  The event was started as a charter project for senior Camille Winston and a group of four other students. “We were able to go whatever way we wanted to go with it,” said Winston. She elaborated that this was an entirely student- led effort, with little guidance from supervisors. The only guidance given was that this would be an event with contributions to Interfaith Outreach.
  “We had no budget at all,” said Winston. “Mr. Gengler donated the cafeteria space and he donated the compostable plates and silverware.” Winston also said that the group had to figure out everything on their own from there. The group even found chefs through networking.
  Professional chefs were brought in, including Robert Schoonover from Breckinridge, Colorado and Jenny Breen from Minneapolis. “I was concerned that everyone would not understand the theme and purpose,” said Breen, “not just see it as a dinner with free food.”
  Schoonover commented that the biggest challenge he faced in cooking with only rescued foods “was the logistics and timing around preparing food for such a large number of people.”
  All meals prepared for the event were made from rescued food, either donated from Loaves & Fishes or picked up from drop off points at Second Harvest Heartland. Food served included honey dijon pork tenderloin, cauliflower parsnip mash with roasted garlic, and several light appetizers and desserts. “We looked for foods that would make a big culinary statement not only from a meal  prospective but also as the booth display,” said Schoonover, “we wanted to feature foods that helped eliminate any stigma around rescue food not being good or high quality.”
  “As always, you have to work with what you have… knowing how to cook basic things and what to put with what is an important skill, especially when you have fewer resources,” added Breen. Winston said the event served over 300 plates with an estimate of more than 200 people in attendance. “This was something I never thought could actually happen,” said Winston “I never thought I could plan a whole event with just four other high school students.”
  “No one should have to worry about where their next meal comes from, especially with all of the food waste in our food systems today,” said Schoonover. “Donate your time, talent or finances to groups who are helping, every little bit helps and big things start in small places!”