A Letter from the Editors

A Letter from the Editors

*A Trojan Tribune Survey was administered to a sample size of 380 students from 9th to 12th grade—averaging 95 students per grade. The anonymous survey asked various
questions about sexual activity and e-cigarette use.

*A Trojan Tribune Survey was administered to a sample size of 380 students from 9th to 12th grade—averaging 95 students per grade. The anonymous survey asked various questions about sexual activity and e-cigarette use.

Joe Kottke and Elisabeth Oster

Trends have always been an unwavering indication of generational patterns that are influenced by age, gender, and background.
Modern media’s portrayal of the younger generation, or “Gen-Z” may lead the general public to believe today’s youth is embodied by tech-dependency, shopping-addiction, and caution towards the future. Is nicotine addiction decreasing with lower cigarette consumption? How are e-cigarettes affecting youth? Is sex culture becoming less apparent?
  These are the questions that we—as the Trojan Tribune staff—wanted to investigate.
  We wanted to answer these hot topics through the lens of a teenager from Gen-Z. As parents, school employees, and government officials scramble to “fix” said problems, much of the Gen-Z population views such issues with less urgency.
  According to an adolescent drug trend study conducted by the University of Michigan, from 2017 to 2018, the percentage of 12th grade students who reported vaping nicotine in the past 30 days rose from 11 percent to 21 percent.
  The U.S. Surgeon General as of recently declared youth vaping an “epidemic,” effectively causing continued alarm among U.S. adults
  From an outside perspective, the youth’s nonchalant attitude towards vaping may seem ignorant. Maybe it is. Nevertheless, It is important to understand both sides of these conversations.
  To explore how e-cigarettes and nicotine are affecting Wayzata High School’s student body, we conducted a survey distributed to 380 students from all four grade levels in social studies classes: Civics, World History, U.S. History, and Economics.
  The results (as shown below), suggest roughly one third of students have at least tried an e-cigarette, but only ten percent own one.
  In this edition, our staff reported on different issues, investigating legalization, positives and negatives of popular substances and activities, and more.
  Through a closer examination of e-cigarette, sex, and drug culture, we hope to spark conversation and provoke change in our WHS
community.