Wayzata Food Rescue

Ruhi Shirodkar, Guest Writer

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), roughly one-third of the food produced in the world for human consumption every year, and approximately 1.3 billion tons is wasted. The United States is a large contributor to this amount, wasting over $160 billion a year in food. Not only is this wastage detrimental to those around the world who are in desperate need of sustenance, but it also creates environmental hazards. According to the FAO, the carbon footprint of food produced and not eaten is equivalent to about 3.3 billion tons.
  Over the past six months, I have been working with school district and county administrators to implement a program that will help solve the issue of food wastage at Wayzata High School.   Through this program, students would place unpeeled fruits, unopened drinks, and packaged food items in specially marked bins around the cafeteria. April 23 was the first day of the program’s implementation. Since then, over 20 pounds of food have been collected that would otherwise have gone into landfills, and this food has been donated to the Interfaith Outreach food shelf in Plymouth, MN.
  Both for the good of our environment and to alleviate hunger in our community, we need to reduce our food wastage and salvage what is usable. Students, remember, if you have any unopened/uneaten food items after lunch: don’t trash. Donate.