A Letter from the Editors

Joe Kottke and Elisabeth Oster

Wayzata High School: yes, it’s overwhelming. Yes,it’s easy to generalize. Yes, it is impossible to know everyone’s story. We all hear exclamations similar to “that’s so Wayzata!” What if instead of praising sameness we celebrated diversity? Think about how the perception of our school would change.
  So what’s the big deal? That’s the question that’s been running through our minds as we put together this issue. Ethnicity, gender, sexuality, culture, religion, mental illness, and class–these are the things that divide us. Respect and understanding is imperative for a harmonious school, regardless of opinion or political belief.
  The Trojan Tribune Staff feels that a diversity issue is necessary in today’s social climate. We focused on five categories of diversity. We realize that these are sensitive topics, so we recruited guest editors from different backgrounds and grades to share their personal stories and also help our twenty guest writers to share theirs.
  A different method of storytelling is displayed through art by AP art students. Each piece is accompanied by an artist statement, providing inspiration for the stories conveyed through various mediums.
  We dug through the Trojan Tribune archives to show that many of these issues have not changed. We hosted religious roundtables, bringing together students of various faiths. The purpose of each roundtable was to prompt discussion on the similarities and differences within each tradition.
  This issue features many voices from outside of our organization, including students from the Race, Class, Gender and Sexuality in Media and Literature class.
  This collaboration produced opinion pieces centering around the idea of “what they don’t tell you.”
  No matter who you are, even if you don’t normally read our newspaper, we hope that this issue of the
  Trojan Tribune can spread awareness of topics that need to become more open to discussion.    Our hope is that the Diversity issue will provide an honest and accessible voice for the students you pass in the hallways every day.

36 total views, 3 views today