Girls Soccer Comes Up Short in State Championship

Senior Lily Gilberston controls the ball in the state semi-final victory against Stillwater.

Kelsey Deering

Kelsey Deering

Kelsey Deering

Sam Sklar, Sports Editor

The girls soccer season came to an end after an upset loss to Minnetonka in the
state championship on November 2nd.
  After taking home the section 6AA championship in a dominant fashion, the Trojans
drew the second seed in the state tournament and a first round matchup versus the
seventh seeded Blaine.
  In the first half, the Trojans got off to an early 1-0 lead over Blaine on a goal by
senior Eva Bruer. Wayzata then scored three quick goals in the second half to put the
game on ice and hold on for a 4-1 victory.
  In the second round of the state tournament Wayzata faced-off with third seeded
Stillwater. The team got off to another 1-0 lead in the first half on a penalty kick by
senior Megan Malecha in the 39th minute. Stillwater then responded with a penalty
kick of their own with 22 minutes remaining in the second half.
  From then on, neither team was able to put away a goal. The game then went on to
overtime when neither team was able to score again. This lead to the game advancing
into a penalty shootout.
  Just like overtime, the penalty shootout was a close one. In fact, the shootout lasted 9 rounds. The Trojans shot second and scored in four consecutive attempts in rounds five through eight. Then in the 9th round, senior goalie Maddie Lo picked up a save and Senior Elizabeth Page scored sealing the victory over Stillwater.
  After the thrilling win versus Stillwater, Wayzata’s next and final opponent of the
season was Minnetonka, the fifth seed in the tournament. The two Lake Conference
rivals had already faced each other twice this season with Wayzata winning both games 4-0 and 2-0 respectively.
  The first half of the championship game was tightly contested with both teams getting scoring chances but Minnetonka was able to breakthrough thanks to a goal in the 28th minute by senior Riley Brackin. “We made a defensive error on the goal which happens in games but the big problem was the inability to score any goals,” said head coach Tony Peszneker.
  In the second half, Minnetonka “parked the bus” in an effort to preserve their one
goal lead. This lead to numerous scoring chances for the Trojans but they were unable
to put one into the back of the net. “We certainly had enough opportunities but most
were from further out which would have been more difficult and in closer [shots] we
just were not sharp enough to finish off our chances,” said Peszneker. Wayzata outshot Minnetonka 18 to 4.
  Despite not winning the championship, senior captain Lily Gilbertson felt very
proud of the team. “2nd place is a huge accomplishment that we should be proud of,”
said Gilbertson “We all grew as people and players as well which is also a success in
itself. The best part is that I got to share this experience with my amazing teammates
and we are all so grateful to be given that amazing opportunity.”
  The Trojans had four players selected to the all-tournament team; Gilbertson and
Bruer were both selected as well as junior Samantha Dietrick and freshmen Madi
Drasher. Gilbertson and Bruer both praised their teammates for helping them win this
award “I really could not have done it without my team. Out coach always says that if
the team does well, then the individuals do well…they are the ones that make me better,” said Bruer.
  The team finished with an overall record of 17-4-0 and a 6-2-0 record in the conference.

36 total views, 4 views today