Wayzata’s Very Own TED Talk

Wayzata’s Very Own TED Talk

Illustration courtesy of TED-Ed

Illustration courtesy of TED-Ed

Illustration courtesy of TED-Ed

Christian Campbell, Senior Staff Writer

Among the 37 clubs already present at Wayzata High School, TED-Ed has recently added itself to the roster. The club has taken on the form of an extracurricular
activity headed by Adam Woods and Greg Sowden.
  The club will act like any other, requiring the one-time $55 registration fee for all extracurricular clubs. The first official meeting for the club will take place on November 27th in the 2nd-floor forum from 3:15 p.m to 4:30 p.m.
  The club will operate without requirements to participate with the goal in mind “to be a club that students who may typically have a tough time getting involved in activities can find a home and to remove any obstacles students might find when joining a club,” said Sowden.
  Though it has not been confirmed, Sowden mentioned the possibility of offering multiple times for meetings to ensure that every student has an opportunity to participate.
  “The club hopes to encourage an interest in learning, which can get lost when students are wrapped up in their grades,” said Sowden.
  “While there might be faculty leadership, our goal right now is to provide direction and spark ideas to allow students to have the ownership of not only the club but the ideas that might inspire their own TED-Ed talk,” Woods said. Woods also recognized the importance of students’ perspectives in the club’s central purpose saying,
  “Students sometimes don’t realize how much the influence and teach us as educators. These Ted Talks by students could be used all over the world to help us understand the plight of a student whether it be AP courses or the college application process.”
  Beyond the walls of Wayzata High School, according to TED-Ed, the club allows students to “discuss and celebrate creative ideas.” TED-Ed says they provide students an opportunity for “students to explore the ideas they’re passionate about.”
  In addition, students will be “challenged to identify and shape the story only they can tell.
  Through guided brainstorms and active peer feedback exercises, students will craft their very own TED-style talk,” according to TED-Ed.
  The prospect of intellectual fame goes with students’ videos being uploaded to the TED-Ed Youtube channel which can be shared with their families, friends, communities and the world, according to TED-Ed.

44 total views, 2 views today