Speed Bumps: Gone for the Winter

Speed Bumps: Gone for the Winter

Wayzata High School’s speed bumps stored underneath the football stadium for the winter.

David Motes

David Motes

David Motes

Lauren Lubenow, Senior Staff Writer

Since early October, the Wayzata High School parking lot has seen an addition of speed bumps. According to Principal Scott Gengler, the speed bumps were installed because too many people were driving overly fast in non-congested times through the parking lot.
  “It’s a 15 mile per hour speed limit and it’s just not common that people are going 15 miles per hour when it’s not congested. We need to keep that traffic slow because we have so many pedestrians and so much traffic that is coming into the parking lots,” said Gengler. “It’s important that we maintain slow speeds.”
  Although these bumps slow your speed when you drive over them, they aren’t actually speed bumps. They are cable covers used by the Wayzata Technical Crew to run cable back and forth from the football stadium.
  TV Studio Manager Zach Rudolf said that the administration asked them to leave them out, as they slowed traffic after a sport event. Rudolf has been adjusting and setting them up since their first appearance on the 16th of October.
  According to Gengler, the school is working to partner with the City of Plymouth to conduct a traffic study at the high school to determine what can help slow the traffic.
  “We will be taking appropriate steps to help improve the traffic around the high school. We will work with the school and city to hire an outside company to come out and study the traffic patterns in the parking lots,” said Gengler. This study will help to make suggestions that will improve the flow of the parking lot. 
  The addition of stop signs was also a test subject that was brought up. Gengler said, “I think we need to either go with speed bumps, which will slow the traffic down, or stop signs. One or the other. We are just experimenting right now.”
  “Similar to the speed bumps, I think we would let a traffic study make suggestions about whether stop signs would be a good idea,” said Gengler. “The speed bumps were just something we had on campus to try as a temporary study that were conducting as a school.”
  However, these speed bumps won’t be staying for long, due to a few reasons. “The speed bumps have to be put away during winter so the snow plows can plow the road,” said Rudolf.
  Wayzata Newsbreak Technician Kian Dieleman said, “The ramps probably won’t be put out in the spring due to the wear that have taken, and they have to be put back together multiple times a day.”
  “If we feel that they’re effective, then we will look at putting something more permanent into place,” said Gengler.
  Gengler said that they have not surveyed anyone about the speed bumps, but they haven’t received any backlash.
  “We have been out there regularly monitoring them outside. I believe the speed bumps are working and I think they are serving their purpose of slowing the traffic down during the non-congested times. When it’s congested, people normally aren’t speeding,” said Gengler.
  “Our kids are respectful to each other and courteous of letting people in. The more cooperative the parents and students are exiting and entering the building, the easier and safer the traffic flow is.”