2019 College Recruits

Sam Lavely, Sports Editor

A new wave of athletes will be taking over next year. However, several seniors from Wayzata High School have committed to universities to play varsity sports for their programs.
  The recruiting process is a long and hard one, and each of the seniors interviewed seem to have had a unique experience with the recruiting process.
  Senior Jacob Beeninga has been committed to Minnesota State University-Moorhead (MSUM) since October of his junior year, a fairly early commitment for a basketball player. Beeninga, unlike many others, seems to have known where he wished to end up since the beginning of the process.
  While Sacred Heart College commit Alexa Ocel mentioned that the process was “long and sometimes stressful,” Beeninga seemed more relaxed, commenting that “It wasn’t too overwhelming.” Beeninga shed some light on his easier decision saying “I only ended up going on one visit to Minnesota State Moorhead, which is the school I ended up going to.”
  Beeninga’s brother, Johnny, as well as his sophomore year teammate Gavin Baumgartner, both currently attend and play basketball for MSUM. “Family was a big part of it,” said Beeninga.
  The recruiting process is also very personal. While on the surface, much of recruiting appears to be the sending of letters, athletes also participate in workouts for the schools, visit campuses, and University of Minnesota commit Jordan McGinty commented that she “got to meet, talk and have lunch with [the coach].”
  When boiled down, however, all athletes must make a final decision. Decisions have different influences for everyone, whether it be facilities, the academic value of the institution, or in Jacob Beeninga’s case, family.
  Northwestern soccer commit Maddie Lo mentioned her decision involved several factors. “Ultimately I am going
to my dream school. The academics are amazing and it is Big 10 soccer, which is super competitive.”
  While Lo took a very holistic approach to determining her athletic future, Ocel was looking more directly at her general college experience than the athletic success of her school. “If I end up injured and can’t play hockey anymore (knock on wood) I want to go to a college I would enjoy for the campus and the opportunity, not just the sports.”
  McGinty’s decision also came back to this point, as she mentioned “The Carlson School of Management at the UMN is a very well-known school in the business world, which is what I want to study,” showing how athletes are determined to make a decision that is not based on athletics alone.
  The recruiting process is different for everyone. However, student-athletes take advantage of the opportunities ahead of them, leaving way for underclassmen to step up and lead teams.