Booting Out the Competition

Sophomore+Abigail+Brantner+battles+for+the+ball+in+the+7-0+section+quarterfinal+win+against+Minneapolis+South.+

Booting Out the Competition

Sophomore Abigail Brantner battles for the ball in the 7-0 section quarterfinal win against Minneapolis South.

Kelsey Deering

Kelsey Deering

Kelsey Deering

Lauren Lubenow, Staff Writer

The Wayzata Girls Soccer Team is standing at an amazing 15-3-0 record after their sections win last week.
  Last year the girls ended the season with a 12-0-3 record in which they never lost a game. Even with a few losses this year, the girls are still doing amazing with their new players and team.
  Head Coach Tony Peszneker said “Compared to last year we are not scoring as many goals and giving up a few more. However, we
won the conference championship for the 5th year in a row.”
  Because of the new season, there have been many additions and losses of players to the team. Of these new players, two are freshmen. Though there have been some changes in players, it hasn’t really affected the training aspect of the team. “Training has been the same as only the players and their style change a little especially all the new people who come into the team” said Peszneker.
  Sadly, the girls did suffer 3 losses so far against Edina, Eden Prairie, and Blake. Peszneker said “Both Edina and Eden Prairie have been very tough this year but fortunately they are not in our section and we would not see them until State Tournament if we both make it.”
  Senior Captain Lily Gilbertson also shared that view, “I think Edina has been the toughest competition for us. They have a really good team and they are a great test every time we play them.”
  Though they have some tough competition, the girls are still in it to win the state championship. “The girls definitely still have a shot at being state champion, but then so do about another 10-20 teams” said Peszneker.
  “We have a ton of talent on the team this year and we are working really hard to achieve the goal of state champion” said Gilbertson.   Gilbertson, along with senior Megan Malecha, have been key leaders to the team as they were both recently named to the all-metro first
team. Gilbertson is a also finalist for the state of Minnesota’s Ms. Soccer competition.
  Last Tuesday, the girls won their final sections game against Cretin Derham Hall 1-0. This win led them to the state game and that will be on October 23rd at Farmington High School.
  In the quarterfinals the Girls will be playing against Blaine, the #7 seed.
  Last year, the girls finished their season ranked first going into the state tournament. They won a 3-0 romp against STMA in the quarterfinals,.
  The semifinals led to a very physical game against Eagan, in which Wayzata lost 2-1. The play was very rough throughout the entire game, with multiple injuries. Eagan is ranked first in the tournament to Wayzata’s second, and it will be a tough game if the two cross paths again.
  Eagan goalie Megan Plaschko was awarded Ms. Soccer Minnesota this year, as well as Minnesota’s Metro Player of the Year by the Star Tribune.
  Quarterfinals are underway, and if Wayzata wins their matchup, they will play on October 30th at US Bank Stadium.