Wayzata Hosts Legislative Candidate Forum

Patty Acomb, Gary Porter, Ginny Klevorn, and Sarah Anderson at the Legislative Candidate Forum. Photo by Peyton LaFrenz.

Peyton LaFrenz

Peyton LaFrenz

Peyton LaFrenz

Peyton LaFrenz, Staff Writer

Wayzata Central Middle School hosted the Legislative Candidate Forum on October 2nd, 2018.
  The event was sponsored by the Wayzata Public Schools Legislative Action Committee. The committee, started fifteen to twenty years ago, made up of parents, community members and representatives from many different organizations, according to Wayzata School District Board Member Cheryl Polzin.
  “Wayzata Public Schools Legislative Action Committee (LAC) is a nonpartisan group of citizens that monitors the legislative activity as it affects E12 education and advocates positions on behalf of the district,” said Citizen Chair of the Wayzata LAC Monica Dawson.
  Candidates that attended this forum are running to represent districts 44A, 44B, and 46A in the Minnesota House of Representatives. All of these districts are included in the Wayzata School District.
  Jerry Hertaus (33A) opened up the forum, addressing the issue of fairness in regards to school funding. “We have a situation where we’re supposed to have a uniform system of funding education, but with the categoricals that have been imposed over decades, we have really less than anything than a fair system. We really want to work at the legislature to make sure that student debt, regardless of any zip code, gets a good shot at a public education,” said Heartus.
  Norrie Thomas (33A) also spoke regarding the issues of finance. “We have a crisis here in Minnesota as it relates to special education and special needs,” said Hertaus.
  “Our students require services in order to become amazing citizens in whatever city and whatever academic area they wish to pursue,” said Thomas.
  “The money to fund those kinds of services is not adequate and we need to listen to our teachers, listen to our faculty and parents to find some solutions for them,” said Hertaus.
  Kristin Bahner (34B) agreed with other candidates that funding for schools is “the greatest challenge.”
  “I believe in common sense and what that really means is putting people and families first, and using their money responsibly, I think that’s a really big key for me,” said Bahner.
  Sarah Anderson (44A) discussed her accomplishments in increasing funding.“For Wayzata in particular that means $5.1 million increase in funding for this school district,” said Anderson. “We have great schools and we want to keep them that way.”
  “We have a good district, we can have a better district, there are opportunities for children to succeed that we’ve not yet tapped,” said Ginny Klevorn (44A). “It is my goal to work with our school district to help every child achieve their dreams and the aspirations of their parents,” said Klevorn.
  Patty Acomb (44B) discussed the challenge regarding stable funding. “I really value our public education and all it has to offer us,” said Acomb.
  Gary Porter (44B) spoke about his experience serving in North Dakota and fighting for school funding as well as working with the school board.
  “I have the record, I have the passion and I think if I get into the legislature. You can rest assured that I will be there fighting for our children,” said Porter.
  “We have not kept up with the funding needs of school districts and in fact that has declined year, after year, after year, a 2 percent increase is less than inflation that is cut to education,” said Ryan Winkler (46A).
  Voting for these candidates will take place on Tuesday, November 6th.