Powderpuff: An Old Tradition Renewed

Powderpuff: An Old Tradition Renewed

Reid Funderburk (12), Devra Lewin (12), and Katie Lins (12) of the Light Pink team facing Talia Braufman (12) and Lauren McCollough (12) of the purple team at Powderpuff. Photo by Kelsey Deering.

Kelsey Deering

Kelsey Deering

Kelsey Deering

Kelsey Deering, Media Editor

64 Wayzata High School senior ladies crowded the the stadium field Saturday, October 13th for the resurrection of Wayzata’s Powderpuff football tournament.
  A tradition that took a three year hiatus, the last Powderpuff football tournament at WHS was held in October of 2015.
  “There was a high demand for Powderpuff football to resurface,” said Deena Kassem (12), the Student Council member in charge of = coordinating this year’s tournament. “We thought this was a perfect way to conclude homecoming festivities.”
  The tournament consisted of six teams each coached by a members Wayzata’s varsity football team.
  “At first, the cost of participation made a few senior ladies skeptical about playing,” said Kassem. “It was especially challenging getting administration’s approval regarding field time and practice time. The tight schedule of the football team made coordination of the event even more difficult.”
  According to Kassem, despite minor setbacks in the planning, the audience and crowd turnout at the field was much bigger than what was expected.
  According to fellow Powderpuff coordinator Duffy Davidson (12) the response from the senior ladies was overwhelming. “Everyone wanted to participate,” said Davidson.
  “It was definitely an experience,” said Kallie Gartz (12) a player for the pink team. “So many girls were out to win it was insane; I give the football players a lot more credit after playing their game for a bit.”
  The tournament included five rounds of twenty-minute games. According to Gartz, the competition was intense. The Purple Team won.
  “This tournament united the senior class,” said Kassem. “It provided a memory for every senior lady who participated. We can’t wait to carry the on the tradition.”

42 total views, 2 views today