WHS Creates Finals Schedule

Elisabeth Oster, Editor-in-Chief

Beginning on January 23rd, Wayzata High School will be implementing a school-wide final exam schedule for “greater academic balance,” according to Principal Scott Gengler.
  “Although not all courses have exams on the last day of the term, it was the consensus of all stakeholders that we should establish a final exam schedule at the end of terms 2 and 4 to minimize the potential stress on students having multiple final assessments on one day,” said Gengler.
  According to Gengler, this has been a topic of discussion for the past few years after increased concern from students, staff, and parents.
  Currently, the school plans to require block one and two classes that have final exams be taken on January 23rd and June 5th; finals exams that are during block three and four will be on the last day of each term.
  According to Gengler, this change has been in discussion since last year between Department Chairs, the Building Instructional Leadership Team, and the Parent Teacher Organization (PTO).
  “It was the consensus of all parties that we should establish a final exam schedule at the end of terms 2 and 4 to help alleviate the potential stress on students of having more than two final assessments on one day,” said Gengler.
  For the last day of term two, January 24th, a half day will be established after block one and two finals to “address the increasing demand for both students and staff during this time,” according to Gengler. This will ease the transition between terms for teachers and students as well.