Adapted Floor Hockey Looking to Make A Run at State

Goalie+Jonathan+Sund+waves+to+the+crowd+on+Senior+Night+against+North-Suburban.+The+Lakers+fell+12-3.+

Goalie Jonathan Sund waves to the crowd on Senior Night against North-Suburban. The Lakers fell 12-3.

Sam Sklar, Senior Sports Writer

The adapted hockey team is off to a respectable 5-5 start after falling to Maple Grove Crimson 13-3 on February 20th.

The Lakers, a Wayzata-Minnetonka combined team, took a tough loss at the hands of Burnsville, Farmington, and Lakeville in the consolation championship of last year’s state tournament.

“Our team does not dwell on the past,” said head coach Amy Mayer. “We continue to work hard as a team during practice and we take one game at a time.”

The team started off their season strong, winning their first two games against White Bear Lake and Robbin/Hop/M West.

Shortly after, they hit a tough stretch, dropping three straight games while allowing nearly 14 goals per game.

Recently, the Lakers have seemed to turn things around. They have now won 3 of the past 5 games, according to mshsl.org.

According to assistant coach Mary Sholl, the Lakers had no goalie coming into the season, as last year’s starting goaltender Ashley Gabrielson graduated. After trying out many different players for the position, senior Jonathon Sund hesitantly stepped up. “We hadn’t originally thought of Jonathan for the goalie position because he is an amazing defensemen,” said Sholl.

Both Sholl and Mayer praise Sund for his work, as he has excelled in his new position.

“Jonathan has been our go-to man ever since and it is incredible to see the improvement each game in his skills,” said Sholl. “To learn a completely new position in your senior year, especially that of goalie, says something about his character.”

Unlike some other schools, the Lakers have a cognitively impaired team, but no physically impaired team, as there are not enough players to fill a whole roster. “We are working on identifying potential players for the PI team and hope to have a full squad in the future,” said Mayer.

The Lakers currently sit at fifth place in the north division out of ten teams. With three games left, the Lakers will look to continue climbing up the standings.A