Record Breaking Year for DECA

Kelsey Deering, Senior Staff Writer

Wayzata DECA is in the midst of a record-breaking year after its district competition that was held in January, according to DECA Officer Nicole Granovsky (11).

According to Granovsky, Wayzata DECA students competed against hundreds of other students from Minnesota districts including Orono, St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Chaska, Chanhassen, and Eden Prairie.

According to Granovsky, Wayzata has had its best-ever results at the district competition.

DECA had record qualifications in its state competition this March, with 109 teams who will be competing.

Students competed in various events within the business club, including fashion merchandise, sports marketing, event planning, finance and several others. This year at districts, 61 teams were placed in the top 10 rank for their events, automatically qualifying them for the state competition, according to Granovsky.

“We are thrilled to have seen the hard work of each member of our chapter pay off so well,” said Wayzata DECA president Kallie Klopfenstein (12). “It was extremely impressive to hear 77 Wayzata students called up to stage at awards and I am very proud of our chapter.”

According to Klopfenstein, DECA had ten teams place first, eight teams place second, and eight teams place third. DECA participants are now hard at  work in preparation for their events at the state competition. Many DECA members hope to qualify for the International Career Development Conference that will take place in Atlanta, Georgia this spring, according to Granovsky. The International Career Development Competition will consist of roughly 10,000 DECA members who will compete in several career events much like the state competition ton, according to the DECA organization.

“[State] is a lot more exciting than last year because I qualified for both of my events and we have a better chance of making it to internationals,” said DECA participant Ruchika Kamojjala (11). “Plus, I’m looking forward to seeing some of the people I met last year and meeting new people this year.”