Dance Team Performs at Super Bowl 52

Dance Team Performs at Super Bowl 52

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Lydia Johnson, Design Editor

On February 3rd Super Bowl LII was held at Minnesota’s own, U.S. Bank Stadium. The 52nd Super Bowl featured Justin Timberlake in the halftime show, accompanied by several dance teams from Minnesota.

The Wayzata Trojets were among the selected to dance alongside Justin and his professional crew.

According to co-head coach Alyse Lorio, there were requirements to be able to be part of the performance. “The biggest requirements were the need to be at all the Super Bowl practices, and being within one hour of the city for bussing purposes. Dancers also needed to be over 16 years of age and teams had to submit video of them in order to be part of the show,” said Lorio.

The Super Bowl practices could be 3-8 hours long, often after school. Dance Team member Issy Hackley (11) said, “The time commitment to the superbowl and our team that was gearing up for sections was the world’s biggest juggling match.”  

There were 8 practices in total, mostly in St. Paul or downtown. The first practice being at Kennedy High School was primarily cleaning up choreography, and establishing where everyone would stand on the field, according to Hackley.

The second practice was in the fieldhouses at the University of Minnesota. According to Hackley, this was when the team got to work with the marching band who also performed at the show.

The third practice was held at the Warner Coliseum on the State Fairgrounds. According to Lorio, Justin Timberlake brought s’mores and hot chocolate to the entire cast at dress rehearsal.

The rest of the practices were at U.S. Bank Stadium. Hackley said, “These were the most fun practices because we got to see where we would be spending Super Bowl Sunday and seeing the field full of all the performers.”

According to Hackley, there were 3 main groups of professional dancers. The Timberwolves and Vikings cheerleaders, local professionals, and Justin’s main crew whom he calls the “Tennessee Kids”.

“Working with professionals was really eye opening to this industry. The Tennessee Kids had a vibe to them that you don’t see outside of the music entertainment industry,” said Hackley.

According to Lorio, some of the high school dancers were able to interact with the professional dancers but not with Timberlake himself.

Dancing at the Super Bowl also came with a lot of responsibility. Lorio said, “We were told that if we told people or it got out on social media especially, we would be pulled from the show.”

According to Hackley, the most important thing was understanding the responsibility and keeping it a secret.