A Tough Football Season Comes to an End

From left to right: Nick Kallerup, Joe Salonek, Tommy Ransom, Nick
Davis, Ishmael Chesson. Wayzata offensive line prepares for the next
play in the first loss to Maple Grove, 35-10. Photo by Drew Smith.

From left to right: Nick Kallerup, Joe Salonek, Tommy Ransom, Nick Davis, Ishmael Chesson. Wayzata offensive line prepares for the next play in the first loss to Maple Grove, 35-10. Photo by Drew Smith.

Sam Sklar, Staff Writer

Senior running back Deshawn Cockrell takes the field by storm in
Wayzata’s game against Maple Grove on October 18th. Photo by
Drew Smith.

Wayzata’s football season came to an end on October 27th after a 33-10 loss against Maple Grove in the first round of the section 6A tournament. The Trojans and the Crimson faced off the week before as well, with the Crimson winning 35-10.
  The Trojans finished their season with a 2-7 overall record and a 0-4 conference record. The two wins came against Rosemount and Eagan.
  The Trojans struggled on offense, only surpassing 16 points three times this season. Coach Lambert Brown changed the Trojans’ kickoff return strategy this year, introducing a reversal. Junior Brody Bjork, who led the team in kickoff return yards, returned a kickoff for a touchdown using the new reversal in the win against Eagan. “It was my favorite touchdown I had on the season,” said Bjork, “when I ran into the endzone it was all smiles.”
  Injuries played a major role throughout the season. Junior running back Alec Underhill tore his ACL in the first game and missed the rest of the season.
  Junior starting quarterback Keaton Heide missed four games with a broken metatarsal in his left foot.
  Senior Nick Davis also battled injuries throughout the season, adding onto the pile of injuries on the offensive line.   “It is part of the game,” said Brown, “It is a good lesson because you never know when your opportunity will come.”
  Senior Charles Engdahl led the team in receptions and yards with 317 yards on 23 receptions. Senior Deshawn Cockrell led the team in rushing with 503 yards.
  Next year’s team will have big shoes to fill, particularly on the defensive side, with key senior players such as Matt Otto and Calem Eugene graduating. Eugene, one of the starting linebackers, led team in solo tackles the past two years. In total, the Trojans will lose 30 seniors next year. “We need to increase our execution next year,” said Brown, “With that needs to come better coaching to get the message across.”
  The Lake Conference overall played at a very high level this year and produced three of the four state semi-finalists. Eden Prairie took home the Lake Conference championship with a 4-0 conference record, as well as the state championship after their 38-17 win against Minnetonka.