Girls Cross Country on a Winning Streak

Sophomore Sammy Corning (front) and Freshman Ingrid Halvorson (back) push through the Lefty Wright Grade Level Championships on October 23rd. Photo by Kraig Lungstrom.

Shae Luedke, Opinion Editor

Wayzata Girls cross country has had nothing short of success this season. According to Sophomore Emma Atkinson, “We are having a great year and we keep getting better.”
  Atkinson added, “We were trying to peak at the end of the season and that’s exactly what we are doing.”
  On October 23rd, the girls participated in the Grade Level Championships at Basset Creek Park. The meet was split between juniors and seniors, and freshmen and sophomores. For the upperclassmen, Wayzata placed second overall with 37 points. Edina placed first with 27 points, and Eden Prairie placed third with 95 points. Junior Julia Beckman got first place running 5000 meters with a time of 19:40.030 minutes,
while Senior Naomi Long placed second with a time of 19:42.590 minutes. In the underclassmen division, Wayzata placed first overall with 34 points.
  “The grade level race was super competitive from the start, especially with Edina in the race,” said Beckman.
  “As the race progressed, our strategy was to keep moving up and in the end my teammate Naomi Long pushed me,” said Beckman, “We both ended up finishing in the top two.”
  Shortly after the Grade Level Championships, the Trojans headed straight into Sections where they had another successful meet, according to Atkinson. “Winning this race was a big goal for our team and I’m so proud we were able to accomplish it.”
  Wayzata placed first in Sections on October 25th at Gale Woods Farm, receiving 41 points. Edina took second with 60 points, and Minnetonka placed third with 71 points.
  Sophomore Caroline Sasson and Atkinson placed second and third overall, respectively.
  “I focused on feeling comfortable in the first mile and then chased down the front runners in the last part of the race,” said Atkinson.
  On November 4th, the State Meet took place at St. Olaf College. The Trojans kept their winning streak in this meet, receiving 51 points. Edina placed second, and St. Michael-Albertville placed third. Atkinson and Sasson performed well again, as both scored in the top ten.
  The Nike Heartland Regionals meet took place in South Dakota on November 11th and 12th, where Wayzata placed first. “We are super proud with our winning streak going from conference to sections to state then regionals,” said Long. “We push each other and feel confident about all of the training we have done.”
  The girls look forward to participating in the Nike Cross Nationals. “I’m so happy to have won regionals because nationals is a big dream of mine and it sounds like an amazing experience,” said Atkinson.
  “We really don’t know what to expect but if we keep going on the same track and keep running the same way we have, we hope to make it to the podium and just have a fun experience overall,” said Long.
  The Nationals meet will take place all the way in Portland, Oregon on Saturday, December 2nd.

90 total views, 0 views today