Swim and Dive Finishes Another Successful Season

The team celebrates their third place finish in the state meet. Photo courtesy of Angela Marquette

Lydia Johnson, Design Editor

Girls Swim and Dive placed third in the State meet on November 17th at the University of Minnesota.
  The girls also took first in the Section 5AA meet on November 9th and 11th as well as third at True Team State on October 14th and 18th.
  This year, the team also had a new head coach, Heather Arseth. Setting goals both individually and as a team helped the coaches and athletes work to build a great season, said Captain Elly Morrison.
  Coach Heather Arseth said, “The girls have put in a lot of work this season and it’s great to see them walk away with some major wins.”
  Wayzata took first in the 200 relay medley in the Section meet with Junior Jordan McGinty, Freshman Jenna Marquette, Sophomore Melinda Zhang, and Senior Cindy Zho with a final time of 1:45:56. This group also placed first in the True Team State meet with a time of 1:46:05.
  The girls earned first place in six total events at Sections, with bright spots in the 200 yard Individual Medley (IM), one-meter dive, and the 100 yard breaststroke.
  Junior Jordan McGinty won the IM by an astonishing six seconds, and the girls gained first through third place in the one-meter dive.
  According to Morrison, the team lost talented some seniors last year but were able to make up for it with new teammates.    “Our season was successful this year because the girls bonded really well so we were able to lift each other’s spirits when practices and competitions got difficult,” said Morrison.
  Morrison claims Edina and Minnetonka have been Wayzata’s biggest competitors in the past and they continued to be so this year. Wayzata was bested by both Minnetonka and Edina in the State meet, scoring 249.5 less points than first place Edina.
  According to Arseth, “The best moments come from the toughest practices. It is great to see the camaraderie between the girls when they put their heads together to overcome a challenge.”
  This year, the team added guest speakers and cycling to their schedule.
  “These aided us in our mental and physical strength, respectively,” said Arseth.
  Mentally, the girls prepared through a technique called visualization, according to Senior Katelyn Palasek.
  The swimmers lay down and close their eyes. The coach helps the girls simulate a race by timing it.
  “Swimming is a very mental sport, so visualization is a really important part of preparing for our meets,” said Palasek.

184 total views, 2 views today