Adapted Soccer Achieves Their Goals

Senior Jonathon Sund takes a victory lap in the team’s game against St. Cloud Area on Senior Night. Photo Courtesy of Caroline Heimbach

Maggie Reese, Sports Editor

The CI adapted soccer team fell to Park Center in their
second game of the Section Tournament on November 9th, with a final score of 15-2.
  Although the season was tough on the scoreboard, with an overall record of 1-9, it was a success in the eyes of the players. “Our goal as a team was to score at least one goal each game,” said Head Coach Shelby McChesney. “Because we successfully reached our goal, I think we did an amazing job this season.”
  There are many learning opportunities for the players who participate in the adapted sports program.
  “The most beneficial are building relationships, commitment, community, leadership, communication, being on a team, and trusting others,” said McChesney.
  “Adapted sports allow the kids to be a part of a team that they will be connected with for the rest of their lives.”
  According to Adapted Athletics Coordinator Nancy Icopini, there are two teams for every season: one for the physically impaired and one for the cognitively impaired. However, this year there were only enough players to fill a CI team.
  “The program is run exactly like any other varsity program,” said Icopini. “Every sport is seeded with wins and losses, and all of the players have the experiences of joy, teamwork, disappointment, and patience.”
  The process towards the Minnesota Adapted Athletics program began in 1969 with a student named Jim Christy from Marshall U High School.
  According to mnadaptedathletics.org, Christy asked his phy-ed teacher why the physically impaired students could not participate in athletic competitions.
  Christy graduated the following year, but other students continued to push for an adapted sports program.
  This pressure eventually paid off. In 1978, the Minnesota Association for Adapted Athletics conference
board was established. The first season of adapted soccer quickly followed in 1979. The league consisted of six teams
throughout the state, according to mnadaptedathletics.org.
  Wayzata joined the Robbinsdale co-op adapted sports program in 1997. In 2000, the school formed its own co-op with Minnetonka and is still partnered with them today.

404 total views, 2 views today