Girls Soccer Making Strong Surge Towards State

The Girls celebrate a booming goal by Senior Leah Wagner off of a cross from Junior Lily Gilbertson. Photo by Sam Lavely.

Sam Lavely, Senior Staff Writer

The girls soccer team is well into their section tournament. The team defeated Minneapolis South 8-0 on the October 12th and Cretin-Derham Hall 3-0 on October 14th.
  The team finished their regular season ranked number one in the state with a record of 12-0-3, according to mnsoccerhub. com.
  Senior Captain Marissa Kalkar stands out this season, logging 20 goals and 10 assists throughout 15 regular season games, according to mnsoccerhub.com. “This season is one I’ll remember forever,” said Kalkar. “Leading this team has been one of the best experiences.”
  Although there are nine seniors on the starting roster, the team seems to have a bright future ahead of them with Juniors and Sophomores taking charge and playing important roles.
  “Each and every one of the girls puts dedication into our team,” said Kalkar. “The younger girls have so much potential
and are already greatly contributing to the team.”
  Junior Lily Gilbertson has been starting for the team since her freshman year and should be a positive team leader next year. Gilbertson led the Juniors in both goals and assists this year, as well as ranking second overall in both categories for the team.
  Sophomore Sam Dietrick has created a spark for the team as well, coming into her first varsity season as the third leading scorer and fourth leading assister.
  “The season has been very fun, and it is awesome to score for such a big school,” said Dietrick.
  The girls will finish the section tournament on Tuesday October 17th. The team hopes to advance to the state tournament at the US Bank Stadium.

Senior Rina Tanaka approaching the goal to score in the 8-0 win over Minneapolis South. Photo by Sam Lavely