The Edge

(From left to right) Worship leader and guitarist Austin Shinlerp and North Summit
outreach coordinator Mark Hines perform. Photo by Lauren Leaseburg.

(From left to right) Worship leader and guitarist Austin Shinlerp and North Summit outreach coordinator Mark Hines perform. Photo by Lauren Leaseburg.

Lauren Leaseburg, Staff Writer

Located in Blaine just north of the Twin Cities, The Edge is North Summit Church’s concert ministry. North Summit’s outreach coordinator Mark Hines said, “The Edge is a music ministry, DIY venue for local artists to express themselves in a safe place.” A venue that’s a church may be intimidating to some, but The Edge allows artists and attendees to come as they are and have a good time. Hines said. “It’s to help people have an outlet for their music.” A lot of venues are expensive to play or inaccessible to newer bands, and The Edge wants to help up-and-comers develop their fanbase and express
themselves, along with introducing people into the North Summit Church community, Hines said.
  The Edge is a great way to get involved in local music. They host shows roughly once a month, showcasing everything from metal to pop. Musicians can play, and people of any
age can come watch. A huge aspect of The Edge is the community. Caleb Geary, North Summit Church’s worship director and a regular attendee of shows at The Edge, said, “I
love the people I always see there. It’s a big, fun hangout.” Even though The Edge focuses mainly on local musicians, national acts also play the venue.
  Dylan Miller, drummer of the band Hello Tragedy from Kansas City, Missouri said the show he played at The Edge was the greatest show he’s ever played. “Everyone welcomed us with open arms,” said Miller. “To have all the fans enjoy an out of state band they never heard of meant everything to us.”
  Anyone who wants to get involved can contact The Edge. Musicians can play shows, those interested in sound can shadow the sound engineers, and those who want to get
involved in local music can help bands load in and set up, according to Hines. For those who just want to have a good time, The Edge is the place to be.

146 total views, 0 views today