Learning to ‘Shine Online’

Learning to ‘Shine Online’

Speaker Josh Ochs in the WHS auditorium on October 12th. Photo by Quinn Malisow.

Quinn Malisow, Senior Staff Writer

National speaker Josh Ochs spoke to an auditorium of parents and students as part of a PTO sponsored event on October 12th.
  Ochs has written six books and speaks to thousands of parents, students and teachers each year about “how to shine online.”
  “My goal is to make sure that your kids get accepted into their dream schools and jobs,” said Ochs.
  Colleges often google applicants in order to make an informed decision about who they’re selecting to be part of their incoming class, according to Ochs.
  “[Colleges] want to make sure they’re investing in the right students,” said Ochs.
  Ochs presented his three step plan towards building an online portfolio and presence that will impress colleges and employers.
  According to Ochs, the first step is to monitor/audit yourself online. “When you google yourself, you are able to see what information about yourself is available to the public,” said Ochs.
  Ochs suggested deleting any strange or negative tweets and photos that can be found on google. “Adults will only be able to focus on the weirdest photos,” said Ochs.
  The second step is to plan and have a dialogue with parents about the future.
 “Parents should put in time each month to have a dialogue with their kids about what apps they’re using,” said Ochs. Ochs also suggested putting time aside to visit colleges. “It’s never too early to talk about colleges,” said Ochs
  The third step is to post frequently to improve your online image.
  “It’s important to create a profile of positive images,” said Ochs. “You should be yourself, but keep it positive and grateful.”
  According to Ochs, volunteering, taking classy group images, and saying something nice would be examples of positive images.
  According to Ochs, it is also helpful to create a YouTube channel and post videos.
  “Google owns YouTube, so many top results are YouTube videos.” Ochs suggested creating positive YouTube videos.
  “Teaching a subject or talent you’re good at is a great idea for a YouTube video. When someone googles your name, positive and educational videos will show up,” said Ochs.
  Ochs advised against using social media apps with anonymous aspects to them. Apps such as Tumblr, Sarahah, Live.me and Kik are all on Ochs’ ‘red zone.’
  “Students waste so much time on anonymous apps…they’re not building a profile nor making friends,” said Ochs.
  Ochs’ three step process for ‘shining online’ works for more than just applying to college. “Internships are the next step, so students who have already applied to college should continue to use the three steps to help them get that dream internship or job,” said Ochs. “College is only the beginning.”

474 total views, 2 views today