A Reminder on Crosswalk Safety

Sam Sklar, Staff Writer

According to police liaison David Carlson, two Wayzata High School students were hit by a car while crossing Peony lane on the morning of Friday, September 8th. The driver was reportedly leaving the bus lot, where cars are not
supposed to be in the morning. The two students suffered minor leg and arm injuries. According to a survey done by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention in 2014, approximately 10% of kids walk or ride a bike to school across the country. If this is true as of Wayzata, approximately 345 students walk to school.
  Controlled crosswalks, such as stoplights are where there is a sign telling you when you can cross, these are in places such as along the Luce Line on Vicksburg Lane and on Peony Lane, north of Schmidt Lake Road where the accident happened.
  Pedestrians do not always have the right of way, though. According to the Minnesota Safety Council, pedestrians must not enter a crosswalk if a vehicle is approaching and it is impossible for the driver to stop. There is no exact distance to
determine what is safe as cars are moving at different speeds, but it is recommended to just use your best judgement according to the Minnesota Safety Council. If you are debating whether to go or not, it is better to be safe and wait.
  Not stopping at a crosswalk to let pedestrians cross is considered a crime in the state of Minnesota. According to the Minnesota Safety Council the first offense is considered a misdemeanor then the second within a year is considered a gross misdemeanor. With multiple moving vehicle violations, you can have your license suspended.
  “Just because you are in the crosswalk does not mean that drivers see you.” said Carlson. “When you are driving and see a crosswalk, look. Also pay special attention in the early morning when the sun is at an angle that makes it hard to see.”

391 total views, 2 views today